Name that carb 1924 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Name that carb 1924 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Well it started and it seems the seller told the truth. The needle and seat seem stuck wide-open but I'm gonna go ahead and order a rebuild instead of trying it myself this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Albert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

CarbAlbert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

I really like the mixture adjustment on the top, so I hope this is the proper carb for my 1924.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

NH Holley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Chris,

Looks about right to me. But what's with all that extra plumbing in the picture?

Now's the time to correct if if you're taking the carburetor off to rebuild it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Thank You very much!

I just ordered a rebuilt carb and gasket. Will rearrange fuel line addition that made the shutoff easily accesdible.

Also noticed the valves are stuck on my sediment bowl, so that's now on the list.

First Model T startup today... And a Very funny true story...

Three Mormon missionaries were walking by and I invited them to ride along because they had watched me change the oil and plugs, etc.

After about 10 stalls we got up the hill but soon after turning around, as we were coming back down the hill the radiator cap blue Rusty rain all over their white shirts and my windshield.

Hahaha

I hope a new radiator cap solves the problem. I told him they are truly my "witnesses" that it runs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:04 am:

They are so simple to rebuild, why waste your money? And, where is your hot air pipe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:14 am:

I got one rebuilt for $145 and will tinker with mine as a backup. Hot air pipe sounds important for winter. Do you have a pic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:34 am:

Hot air pipe. The exhaust manifold heats air which goes into the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 01:34 am:

NH. Just like mine.
Up here in Minnesota, I've never taken my hot air pipe off! I really should for the two months where it's more harm than good. Ehh, maybe not.
Chris, I loved your story! It reminds me of an old Ellis engine slinging oil from the mains on people's white shirts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 08:14 am:

Don't be so quick to buy stuff off the shelf such as a radiator cap.

First of all, make sure you have a gasket under the radiator cap so, if the radiator starts to boil, the hot coolant and steam will exit via the overflow pipe, not from around the radiator cap.

Second, address the cause of the overheating which may be something as simple as improper ignition timing and/or operator error.

Third, if you haven't already done so, read the owners manual:

http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 08:46 am:

Woo-hoo! Thank You for the link to an Owner's Manual!

RTFM for sure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Possibly an N/H or simmons super power and alot interchang

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Chris - Erik has given you some great advice. The Model T is very simple and will reward the curious. Do not try to buy your way out of a problem or it might punish.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration