Electric fan?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Electric fan?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

I'm planning to use my T in heavy traffic on hot days and will install a 12v radiator fan, water pump, and oil pump if I can find them. Everything will becreversible.

Any ideas for the parts to consider?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:25 am:

You should not need any of that stuff. Model T's run cool at any outside air temperature so long as the radiator is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:39 am:

The more extra junk you pile on, the more there is to go wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 01:17 am:

It has been said many times on this forum that, if your T overheats, it will be remedied with a new radiator. I know this first hand. I live in sunny Florida. My T used to overheat on hot days even when driving until I bought a new radiator and since then, it has never run hot. Not even when sitting in traffic.

I know what you Are saying though, before I replaced my radiator, I used to have to rig up a powerful industrial fan facing the radiator whenever I worked on my running engine in the garage. As long as that fan was on, it would not boil over.

You don't need an oil pump. A good outside oil line with a hogshead scoop will get plenty of oil to the front bearings. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 01:51 am:

"Hogshead Scoop" - That brings to mind the "Ford Faithful"! I think that's the best one, and not really too hard to find at parts swaps and such!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 02:37 am:

I agree with Royce on the fan and water pump; a good radiator will address any cooling problems. An auxiliary oiler is a good idea; Ford Faithful or the internal one sold by Langs are best. I have run both and prefer the internal. If you put them on both sides you have 3 oil lines to the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 02:40 am:

One good thing to add for heavy traffic is a starter. If your transmission has a flywheel with a ring gear it is all bolt on. If it doesn't then it's a good idea to install one when you pull the engine in the future, even if you don't do the starter right away. That way when you get up there in age, if you can't crank it, it's an easy job to install. There's not much worse then killing your car on a hot day in the middle of an intersection and having to crank it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 04:11 am:

Chris, you don't NEED 12 volt anything, especially a fan. A water pump and oil pump aren't needed either, although, as has been said, an auxiliary oil line is a good idea. A good FLAT tube radiator and a stock fan will keep your T cool on the hottest of days, if everything else is good. I've done CRAWLING parades in 95+ degree heat with no problems. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 05:20 am:

Fix the problem, not the symptoms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 07:46 am:

I tried an electric fan as an experiment (several as a matter of fact) the best ones with custom shrouds still didn't work as well as the stock fan on my 27 pick-up it always ran hotter with the electric fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Spend your money on a new radiator if your having cooling issues.
There might be some other issues going on such as restricted water passages in the block and head due to rust.

As others have stated, adding all the other gizmos to a T engine for better cooling is only trying to cover over the main problem which most of the time is an ineffective radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Another mis-informed T owner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Here's something on cooling: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html

And here's something on twelve volts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ycpdfIjDo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration