Carburetor question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carburetor question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:04 am:

My T has a NH I have replaced everything in it I can but it still seems to be starving for fuel under heavy load like climbing hills.sometimes it bucks. I have fuel flow everything good there I have been reading post about cleaning air vents,on the face that mounts to manifold there is a indent like it is something open on another model set but it is not open and looks like just a machine Mark if this is supposed to be open what does it do? The manifold gasket has no hole like that and will only close it up if it we tee open.should I try to open this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Sounds doubtful, can you post a picture of the indent you are talking about?

Are you using an original tank? Does it have any rust or sediment in it that might be clogging up the sediment bulb screen or carb?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/561388.html?1441202872

The gas tank needs to have a good vent, check the gas cap vent hole with the appropriate size drill bit to make sure that it is open.

This is just me, but I drill the vent hole one drill size larger than what it comes from the vendors with just to make sure that the tank is well vented.

Good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Is there an inline fuel filter? If so remove it. How much gas is in the tank? A Model T won't climb any sort of hill with less than about 4 gallons in the tank. I consider three gallons empty except for flat no hills driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:51 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/450004.html?1402151664

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/546420.html?1433267640

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Going to try to answer all these questions,first has original tank very clean and no dirt in bulb fuel flow I don't think is the problem,has a full flow when unhooked from carb , tank was full of fuel,can't send picture right now still on car,but the indent I mentioned has to be the plugs mentioned I have not ground any of the three mentioned that's all I have not done but if they is only for idol don't know if if Will help it idols perfect slowest running engine I ever owned

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:35 am:

If there is an inline fuel filter remove it. It will cause exactly the problem that you describe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Forgot to answer that,no fuel filter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:49 am:

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/112-Care-And-Adjustment-Of-The-Holl ey-Model-quot-NH-quot-Carburetor-Fold-Out-Pamphlet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Check for rust in the tank and check the fuel bulb to make sure it's not stopped up with rust or trash. You also should check the float level. Just what I would check first if it were me!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

John: Is the 'indent' you mention located in the face of the carb flange where it bolts to the intake manifold? If so that's likely the location of the end of the passage for the idle mixture, usually there is a brass plug in that passage, the end should not be open(and even without the brass plug, the gasket will keep it blocked). There are many posts on the forum regarding removing those plugs and cleaning the idle and vent passages during carb rebuild. Apologies if this is not what you asked about, respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:39 am:

Assuming an unrestricted flow of clean fuel to the carb, I think all questions are covered in the links Jay and I posted.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration