Petit Jean 2016

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Petit Jean 2016
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Thursday afternoon I drove down to Russellville, ate at Mulan's buffet, and checked into the Camry Motel in the Wal-mart parking lot. Mister Thrifty likes the price.

Friday morning I drove on up to the mountain top and began my prowl amongst the trees in search of Model T treasures. This year it was mighty slim pickin's. I figure Donnie Brown beat me to what little good stuff there was. :-)

After awhile Paul Mikeska, Mike Walker, and Mike's friend JD rolled in from their campground. They had driven their Model T's down from Fayetteville, which I think is a drive of about 130 miles.

Mike took time out from a busy day of enjoying the shade to pull his floor mat and boards and adjust his low pedal.

With the boards out I was able to get a shot of his fancy brake setup.

Mike helped Paul put down his two-man top.

This poster shows that the competition's initial low price didn't last long.

The buy of the day turned out to be this running board tube patcher that JD picked up for 25.

I squandered $1 for an electric wall clock. If the motor is any good, I'll put it into the clock in my shop that has died. I did see some Model T parts, like a pile of about a half dozen NH carburetors. But they all needed rebuilding, so I wasn't about to pay $35 apiece for them. That was the story of the day on Model T stuff: not much of it, not what I needed, or overpriced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Thanks for the pics, Steve. This is the first time I've missed since I was deployed in 2003. I usually get there a week early and set up in the campground. We then spend the week driving a T around on the mountain-- going to eat, visiting, site-seeing, and just relaxing for a week. It's always great! I'm looking forward to, and already have my reservations for next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

I went back to the mountain today for the final load. I have to wait till Sunday to be able to get the camper out. As Steve said, The pickings were slim. I was able to score some good deals on a few things. I am there 7 days so I get to see everyone (and their goodies) as they come in. Ill post my pics soon. I need to rest a little. This is the first year since I have been going (38 years) that there were no Model T's in the car show. This is also the first year they allowed street rods and rat rods in the show. I guess they may have to, so the show appeals to more and younger folks. But times are a changing.....:-(. But other than the heat on Thursday of 101 degrees and 114 degrees heat index it was a good show and I had fun ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Paul and I drove down on Wednesday, and it was HOT! We both drove with our tops up to have the shade, which we almost never do. Thursday and Friday were HOT as well. It was cooler on Saturday, downright pleasant. This is the first year I can remember when it didn't rain at some point during the meet. I bought a few parts from Donnie, and that's all I found that I could use. These days, we go for the camaraderie anyway; we're getting used to not finding T stuff. Paul's drive back on Sunday turned out to be more of an adventure than he wanted. I'll let him tell you about it.

The car show and judging on Saturday have always been for restored or original antique cars and trucks. Like Donnie, I was disappointed to see that they now allow street rods and rat rods into the mix. Is nothing sacred? Any of us with T's there could have entered our cars in the show and gotten an award, since we would have been the only car in each class. But by the time you pay to join MOTAA and pay the entry fee for your car, it costs about $50 to get a $6 plastic trophy. No thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Mike, there was a good rain on Tuesday. Rained hard for about 2 hours. Tuesday is the first "official day". So we still have rain during the swap meet, for the last 38 years and counting... :-) :-) Here are a few pics of some of the sights seen at Petitt Jean Swap meet.

Some of the cars..

z3

z4

z5

z6

z7

The next three cars are local Arkansas Tin Lizzie members cars and were driven from Fayetiville Ark. to the swap meet. (well over a 100 miles one way) ...:-) :-)
z8

Constintine from Australia (on left side) visiting with a couple Tin Lizzie's members

Some old guy from Kansas is also visiting. :-)

This is what 6000.00 can get you if you are wanting a Model A pickup ...

This was a neat little item I have never seen before. He said it was a give away when buying a new 1953 Ford during the 50 year anniversary ???.

My spaces and my "junk for sale"

Here are some pictures of my treasures I found. The next picture is of a tub of goodies I was able to buy. The man had three tubs of stuff from his dads garage. He wanted 50.00 per tub. I told him I only was interested in the T parts, and he said "build your own tub of all the T stuff" for the same 50.00 price. I was getting ready to buy 2 21 inch tubes from Langs and there were 2 21 inch new tubes in the pile. The 2 new tubes almost paid for the pile. There were 2 good complete distributors and also 4 broken ones with lots of good parts. 2 sets of old style tight weave Scandinavian bands, and lots of other things. Probably my best deal at the meet.

Some nice rear axle bearings with .005 or less wear

Some script tools and oil cans

My favorite find. A nice "FISK" tire iron...

A set of almost new "Coker" 30X3-1/2 inch tires. These will go on the speedster project as my "test run tires" till I can afford a new set of "non skids" :-)

I bought this neat low radiator. It is an accessory type with a "waffle crimp" style of fins. It is a very heavy and well made radiator. I am going to try it on the speedster project. It may cool good, and the patina is just right to match the speedster project. If it does not work out it will look nice hanging on the wall.

And last, is my non T finds ...

Had a good time as usual, and all I need now is about a week to heal up, and rest. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

For some reason the following two pics did not load. The Motorcycle is a good example of "ran when parked" and there is a better pic of the little cart.

a

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

I know Model A prices are generally higher than T prices, but six grand for THAT??? Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

I'll betcha a dollar to a donut he took it home. :-)

Google maps says it's 155 miles from Fayetteville to PJ State Park via the interstate highways, so it's somewhat farther than that the way we go on good Model T roads.

It was good seeing "that Old Guy from Kansas" and Constantine, and of course Donnie. Actually, I get to see Constantine quite a bit lately, since he's in Fayetteville looking for a house to buy. And Paul, who lives near Denver, is talking about moving here when he retires. So our local Model T community, which has been dwindling as the oldsters die off, might be seeing a couple of additions before long. That's good news.

I had a great time at the meet, as usual. JD is a great cook, and he feeds us well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

I had a great time at Petit Jean. The trip back to Fayetteville was not so good. About 30 miles from Fayetteville I was traveling along at about 25 MPH and the car was running great. I was listening to my favorite tune, the coils singing 1,2,4,3,1,2,4,3... there was a hill ahead of me and I gave the car a little gas. And then the music died and I became the newest member of the 2 piece crank club..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

SCAT City, here we come! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Yep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

"Bummer" :-( :-( Paul, did it hurt the block. ?? Also is the crank a older diamond web or a EE crank ?? Hope everything is still good otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Donnie,

I got back to Denver late yesterday. I pulled the inspection cover tonight to confirm what I already knew. From what I can see there is no other damage but it will be a couple of weeks before I can pull the engine, tear it down, and inspect. I bet the crank is an original 14 .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:22 am:

I'll be pulling the engine from my '23 touring this summer. I've been wondering if I should bite the financial bullet and install a Scat crank. A recent comment that "it's not IF, but WHEN" has me thinking the answer is Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Can anybody explain the orange bike with the tree growing through the spokes?
And the way the tire seems to be on the bar.
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:23 am:

I have thank Mike Walker for coming to rescue me! I was behind him and as I rapidly pulled off of the road I knew I was going to spend some time stationary in the Arkansas heat. Mike drove his T back to Fayetteville, hitched his truck to his trailer, and then drove back to load my T up and take me back to Fayetteville. He then helped me load my car onto my trailer so that I could return to Denver. For what it is worth the folks in Arkansas are first rate. I lost count of the folks that pulled over and asked if I needed help. (I do but that is another story) One lady that stopped thought that the rubber chicken on the back of my car was so cool that she laughed and gave me with a couple of bottles of water. About 1 in 20 cars stopped to see if they could help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:02 am:

Paul,
With the new rebuild, make sure the con rods are fitted around the other way, less chance of another problem down the track!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Eugene. The motorcycle, was parked and the owner never got around to fixing it or moving it. So the tree took over. He cut it off at ground level so the bike and tee would stand up on their own. It would be a nice display in a shop or garage as it sits. The large tire that shows above the seat is in the back ground. It is not attached to the motorcycle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Paul,
So saddened to hear of your catastrophic crank breakage. I voiced my concern for the original crank in my rebuilt '14 runabout to Ross Lilleker only 2 weeks ago. He said he could magnaflux it in the car. ! With only the removal of the 3 dip inspection cover. Like you, I sure don't want to tear up a block cast on 2 19 14. Ya'll think that magnaflux technique any good?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

I want that steam engine. Way too cool. Looks like a great day overall!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration