Front axle: Front & Back?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front axle: Front & Back?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Yes, the perches have a front and back. But what about the axle? I don't see any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

There is not a front or back to the front axle. Both sides are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

As I thought. Thanx.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

The side with less rust pits goes to the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Royce! You have a sense of humor!

(One smile on my face so far today. I needed that. Thank you.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

I found out something new today. My dear wife fell and broke her arm and it's in a cast. She can't do much with one hand and therefore needs lots of help. Well...did you know that there is a front are back to panties??? Like the perches, the difference is subtle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

and

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

My '14 has a Dodge Brothers axle with the little symbol. Does this go to the front of the car, or to the rear? Or, should there be two DB symbols?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Hal,

Most guys try to help their wife out of their panties...not into them! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Bill, I've seen the DB mark showing toward the front of the car.I didn't look at the back side to see if there was another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Dennis, that's why I'm so dumb about it. I still have the jack. Aren't you the gent that collects old floor jacks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

If the front axle,is more noticeable to be the front or back. The toe in might be set for one side or the other

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I think Richard is right. A brand new axle is theoretically straight and can therefore be installed either way. However, if you're removing and re-installing an axle that has been adjusted (bent) for proper alignment, then it does have a right and a wrong way to be re-installed.

I guess if you're installing a used axle new to the car, then it doesn't really matter since it will probably require adjustment anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Hal,
I think this is TMI!!! :-)
Now we all know she doesn't "go commando."
:-)
Henry, very good point, the axle could have been "adjusted."

PS, Hal, hope she heals well! No fun being one-handed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Hal,

I mostly collect dust.
I have not yet started collecting jacks yet but I am interested in getting started but the main issue now is space and I need to look for another home and garage. I sent you a PM.

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

I have a Dodge Brothers axle with the DB in a circle on both sides.With either side the DB will be showing to the front on the drivers side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 03:46 am:

There was an article in the Vintage Ford several years ago that showed how the front axles were made. They were forged in (I think) four or five steps. Each step was just on one half of the axle, then it was reversed in the same forging die. That's why there is no front or back. If you look at a bare axle from the front, then turn it around, it looks the same, except for the rust as Royce pointed out. :-) As Henry pointed out, it should be checked for straightness before moving on. A good idea with any axle. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 04:24 am:

One of the curiosities of model T front axles is for the few years in the 1920s where some (not all) axles had a date forged into them. Now, I still don't know if that date is supposed to be the day the stamping was done? Or the last date the mold was manufactured or repaired? Some of these axles do have the date on both the front and the back of the axles (whichever which is which?). So far, I have only seen one, where the date was different on the front than it was on the back. Adds another question to how they were made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 04:50 am:

David if I remember correctly it was 17 steps in the forging process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 04:57 am:

Herb, you are probably correct. I haven't seen that article for many years, I just remembered that it was done in several steps. I consider myself lucky that I even remembered that much! :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Usually, what is on one side of the axle is on the other. I have a late Herbrand axle that has a date on one side, and the following day on the other! Must have been swing shift!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration