What is this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What is this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

This afternoon I stopped by an antique store owned by a buddy and he showed this gizmo to me and asked what it was. He thought is had been on a Model T. I told him I don't think so but I'll check and see. Any comments? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

The long tube extending down indicates it uses a candle. Frilly cone being the chimney, at the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Outhouse light. You could walk in the wind and the candle won't blow out. Hole in the wood next to the privy seat so you can put it down while taking care of bidness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

There should be a spring in the tube to push the candle up as the top burns off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Horse buggies used the same type of thing as a marker light. Not much use as a driving light.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Just be very careful! Open flame and outhouse gasses could make a real mess! Couldn't resist that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Thanks for the good replies. Steve, yes, there is a spring in the handle. Thanks again. I'll take it back to him this afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

It's a carriage lamp.

Very common - not rare and typically not worth much.

The corresponding bracket would have a collar that the candle tube slips into. Note the small tab/clip at the base of the lamp on the candle tube in the second photo (lamp is shown upside down).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Eric nailed it, it's a horse drawn carriage lamp, candle powered and foreign made. This lamp was mounted on a carriage with what we call a English Mount bracket w/set screw. Worth about 25-50 bucks on a good day. www.liveryone.net check it out !!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration