Two steering wheel questions. One, is this a T ? and, two, nickle plated yoke?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Two steering wheel questions. One, is this a T ? and, two, nickle plated yoke?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Picked up this yoke from the family stash in KS the two slots for the pins throw me off. That, and the higher, more pitched spokes. The other T wheels I have laid my hands on are pretty flat and only one slot. So, is this spider a Model T correct one? It does fit the wheels I have. Might just be corrosion, but wife thinks she sees a B on the front and some numbers on the back if that helps.

And the family story is of a nickle plated yoke on the 1917 roadster that got snapped by Uncle Charlie when the T started after being towed by the tractor and the T ran into the back of the tractor and the wheel broke. Was this an aftermarket accesory, or an option or upgrade by Ford?

Would like to get it replaced for the family, if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Accessory. Early T's had a double keyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 06:06 am:

Aftermarket Robert. I've seen three of them and two of them I have. Both have what appears to be light colored walnut rims. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Yes. Father in law refinished the wood before his passing which is why I want to try and restore the spider. To me, it looks medium to light brown something. Probably walnut. I hear that the broken spider is around, so if it cannot be welded or repaired, perhaps I can at least know what to look for.
Notice the vendors sell a nickle plated nut.

I'll use the two slot spider on my 1915 WWI Light Patrol Vehicle now that I know it is a correct early one.

Thanks to all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration