Brasso and Simichrome

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brasso and Simichrome
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 02:28 am:

I've been polishing this severely tarnished headlight with Brasso for almost 2 hours and I got it to look like brass but no real luster then I hit the back of it with Simichrome after the Brasso and it shines like new money. I think they are a good combo Brasso for the dirty work and Simichrome for the mirror shine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 02:37 am:

The current Brasso is not the same stuff we used in the army fifty years ago. I dislike it a lot. Almost anything is better. Prism is very good, but so is Mother's for about half the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 02:51 am:

Seems like Brasso when it came in those tin cans was a liquid if I remember right. I guess tomorrow night I'll do the other one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 07:08 am:

Try the Mother's metal polish - it works very well. Prism is something different, it seems to do a chemical reaction more than a polishing action. I like Prism on black items, then finish up with Mothers for a truly brilliant shine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:07 am:

Royce!

You polished the Ford right off the radiator!

Must be careful with that Mothers.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Corey:
Simichrome is my choice for final metal finishing ...after any scratchs or other defects are removed ...we used simichrome as final finish in injection molds on hardened steel cores and cavities ...after draw stoneing with progressivly finer and softer stones , diamond polish in progressivly finer grits then the final simichrome polish using cotton balls and clean honing oil ...works well in hardened steels , aluminum or brass...like any metal finishing process , the surface finish must be brought up to the final finish in stages ...you do not achieve a fine finish in a single step ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:23 am:

anybody ever try NUVITE?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

If you're going for an AACA trophy:
Use several kinds of polishes, including Prism, and buff the heck out of them with a power buffer. _The more types of polish you use and the more you put your back into it and become a slave to the brass, the more it will shine for you—very temporarily. _Oh, by the way, the polishes which contain wax won't work as well as those that don't contain wax because your hot radiator and hot lamps will melt the wax and cause it to cloud up.

If you're not going for an AACA trophy:
Prism Polish gives you the most tarnish removal and the best shine for the least amount of elbow grease. _Prism is for people who hate to polish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Hmm. Don't care about trophys no matter where they come from. What's that got to do with anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Well I'm on headlight number 2 now. Long as they look nice I'm happy. I don't like to polish but it's a lot more enjoyable than the yard I mowed this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Good question, Royce. _Though neither is trophy-chasing my cup of tea, some folks do enjoy the competition and it's certainly good for the cars. _The trophy becomes the acknowledgement of one's car-restoring peers that the restorer of this car has raised the bar and set the record—and now let's see if anyone out there can do it at least as well next time—and perhaps better. _As the sickeningly overused cliché states, It's all good.

And I think it's good that there are people out there who feel passionate about their car becoming the best of the best. _Somebody has to set the historical standard and be the keeper of the flame. _Well, no; nobody has to, but maybe it's good that somebody does.

Then again, I could be completely wrong—happens all the time—just ask my wife. _:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Gentlemen,
I have been cleaning up brass since 1969.I restore and refinish also reupholster antique furniture.
I have tried all the brass cleaners!!
When I have to clean up a 100 year old piece of brass I do the following.
(1) I use muriatic acid cut down 50-50 with water to get the old patina off.
(2) I use simichrome to polish it.
(3) I finish it with Prism polish.
THe secret to prism is to put it on,and wipe it off with a cotton cloth, then wipe it with a micro fiber cloth. It is unbelievable!!
I would never put a piece of brass on a buffing wheel. It is to abrasive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Pete;

I have lots of Simichrome, but would like to order some Prism, possibly from Amazon.

Please tell me which style Prism to order.

Thanks.

Bill Everett

Cell: 901-496-8795

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Bob,

I don't think you realize what the discussion in my post and in Pete's posts are about. There's a big difference between polishing something that just needs to be polished versus polishing something that has scuffing and / or other damage. You can use Prism on something that has a perfectly smooth yet oxidized surface and get a shiny brass finish.

However you can't get a nice finish using only Prism if the part has corroded enough to develop surface defects or that has scratches. Prism has no abrasives, so it won't help you with that.

The radiator in my picture had not been polished for several years, it required a buffer wheel and then Mother's to remove minor pitting. I could have used only Prism and had shiny pits at the end of the process. As it was I used Prism first so that I could see where more powerful methods were needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

I have several different cleaners and polishes. A place that repaired my radiator told me to finish with Blue Magic. That is what this one is finished with. I use California Purple, Noxon, Wenol Bright Boy and several others at different times. I do a lot of brass polishing. I tried to upload a pic but it was rejected for too large. It's a 1912 Maxwell that only does shows and weddings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

Royce;

Which Prism do you use, the liquid or the paste?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Found one small enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

I'm frequently guilty of not reading the entire thread before posting. _Another fault my wife can add to her list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

I own a 1911 open runabout and the brass was brown when I got it. I used an old can of Brasso and it worked well till I ran out. I purchased a new can and it didn't work. Tried everything else until I found BlueMagic. It was three times faster and did a better job. I bought all the man had. People looked at me like I was nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Awesome!

I wish I could polish my '24 steel radiator cover but don't know how yet. Can't find a reasonable shiny replacement and I want to keep everything so it can be easily put back to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Bill, I don't know which Prism Royce uses but I use the paste. The liquid is more all-purpose and is used for removing haze from fiberglass, anodized aluminum, etc. Very popular with boat owners. If you're going to use it strictly on brass or other metals, the paste is the better choice although either will do a good job for you.

Full disclosure: I am a Prism dealer and would be happy to send you some. PM me at rvmodeltAT netsyncDOTnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

I'm a bit late with this, but earlier in this thread (except for the recent post by Richard E. Moore) there was some discussion about Brasso. The Brasso we used when I was in the USMCR in the '60's came in a red/yellow can, and it was like cotton wadding. It was a bit more coarse than today's medical type cotton balls, and not quite so white, but sort of yellowish. You'd reach into the can with finger and thumb and tear off a little piece to do your polishing with. It would turn black, but after the polishing, even tho' it turned black, you could place it back in the can and later, get more use out of it. Smelled kinda' like ammonia but not quite so strong. Pretty good stuff if I remember right, and sure did a good job on brass belt buckles and such! I've looked for that stuff in recent years, but have never found anything like it,....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

When my parents divorced in 86 my dad bought me a civil war era bed with 4 brass balls on the corners and brass medallions on the head and foot board and the lady at the antique store gave us a can of polish called Oater or Oauter something like that. She said you pronounce it "water". It was like Harold describes the old Brasso coarse cottony stuff with polish in it. I've never seen any since. I still sleep on that bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Corey: I grew up with Brasso. I'm glad you mentioned Ouater. Pretty sure that is correct spelling. Point is, I had some about 20 years ago. It was amazing. I found it to be the absolute best for polishing cases (aluminum) on Harley Davidsons. I am almost certain it is no longer made, EPA perhaps, I don't know. I recall it being a coarse cotton type material that was bright pink in color. It did have a rather pleasant fragrance. We may have to do an online search, perhaps it's out there somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:27 am:

That stuff sounds a lot like "Never-Dull" Magic wadding. Comes in a white & mostly blue can.
Polishes lots of different metals, and is much like what Harold describes (put it back in and use it again).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration