Taught Grandkids to Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Taught Grandkids to Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Taught my 12 and 14 year old grand kids to drive a T on Sunday.

The 12 year old boy has earned the nick name "Crash" for obvious reasons.

Popped the upper radiator hose off. Drug it out of the bushes/ditch and drove it home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Well at least know one was hurt. Of course the model T is fine, i assume our cars or most of them have been through much worse. At least they are learning about model Ts. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Glad no one was hurt. This will be something he will remember and when he gets his drivers license hope he remembers how quickly things can get out of hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Good to see no injuries. Got to watch them like a hawk while teaching them to drive. Bad things can occur to a novice while driving a T. A forum member had a roll over with his son years ago.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/98372.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Some time ago my wife and I were at a social function with folks I worked with. We were taking about our kids and their driving experiences. I commented that my son had just rear ended another car, not too bad and nobody hurt. The fellow I was talking to said, "That's nothing. Last weekend I had to use my D-4 to retrieve my pickup. My son left it in a field, upside down in the mud!"

Stuff happens. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

More practice. Preferably in a big flat place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

More practice, preferably in a big unplowed hay field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Some very lucky people right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

That paved road is the problem . Look at that pothole . I'd blame the county not the boy. My T lives on a dirt road. Feels right at home.LOL
Glad everyone's ok. Put him back in and go again he will remember these time all his life. I'm 48 and remember wrecking my dads 47 Chevy and his 68 impala at the same time. Wasn't my fault I wasn't big enough to push the clutch down all the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:07 am:

While out being a hooligan one night, an angry neighbor hollered at us, "Hey you F#@!g kids .....
and from then on, we called ourselves "The F#@!g Kids", or as individuals, One of the F#@!g Kids.

Having processed 3 kids through my house in years since, I have come to see that all kids are
"F#@!g Kids", and that this is just how life works. My best childhood adventures and memories
involve being a "F#@!g Kid", as I am sure most everyone else's are too.

Blame ? Fault ? What a strange way to look at it. Of course, it was the F#@!g Kid's fault. It
always has been. Always will be ! Why do they get that name ! Because we EARN it !!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Originally planned on a dirt road but "they" had freshly oiled it and I didn't want to run my T through it.

The T was in "low" with very little throttle so we were going very slow. He just forgot where to turn around (and how) so using his own initiative he created a "drive in" off the side of the road!

We were out where there is no traffic, one lane road headed to a quarry, on Father's Day so no one was working out there.

No fields around here (timber country) so this was the least dangerous place to be. Gotta say though I had NO idea that ditch was even there let alone that deep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

HEY BURGER!!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

Couldn't resist. . . :-)

John, I did something ALMOST as bad in my new truck a few years ago, getting ready to turn around, didn't see that ditch! Put a hole in the plastic shield below my front bumper and I was lucky enough to be able to back out of the ditch. Glad no one nor car was hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

I think they got the driving part down pat but it's the stopping part they need to work on! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Fine to let them drive, but don't let them put the T away. They tend to run through the back wall of the barn.
Don't ask me how I know!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 12:42 am:

John........you're a good grandpa....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Thanks Craig.

Ironically, neither one of the kids really showed an interest in repeating the event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

A couple of year ago, I decided to be a good citizen and since I had the Bush Hog on the tractor anyway, I thought I'd cut down the brush and weeds growing along side the dirt road we live on. All was fine until my front right tire went off in a drainage ditch where a pipe crossed under the road. I guess I knew the pipe went under there somewhere, as I could see the other end of it on the other side of the road. Only problem was, on THAT side of the road the ditch is only 18" deep or so. THIS side? 4 feet! It didn't help that the stuff I was cutting was 4-5 feet high and I couldn't see directly in front of me. So there I sat, teetering on my front left and right rear tires. Seat belt on and roll bar up, so I doubt I would have hurt myself REAL bad, but it sure scared the crap out of me. I stood on the diff lock and backed out. Won't be doing THAT again.

Glad your Grandkids were not hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

That's whatchya' get for being a "nice guy", huh Hal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

And John, that's whatchya" get for trying to cultivate the grandkids' interest in the "T" hobby, when they'd probably really rather be just sit'n on the couch and "exercising their thumbs", right? I've got the same problem, even with 16 grandkids and 9 great grandkids! Gosh! At the age of some of those grandkids of mine, I'd have just about "killed" for a chance to drive a Model "T"! Oh well,....different society we live in I guess,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:13 am:

I don't know about many other kids my age (14), but I would much rather be driving around in my "T" than staring at a 3" screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

John.......repeating the EVENT or driving T's in general?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

What a great Father.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

i.e Grand Father.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration