Need car insurance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need car insurance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Which collector car insurance co offers the best rates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:47 am:

I've use JC Taylor for about thirty years. My dad used them for about forty five years. Great customer service, they pay claims very quickly and with no issues.

Their terms are exactly the same as others who advertise more and cost more like Hagerty for example.

Read the policy, get a quote. Highly recommended.

http://www.jctaylor.com/about-us/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:47 am:

As some of our friends here on this site have mentioned in the past it is as much about coverage as price. Some insurers will not cover a loss if you are just out for a ride or a quick run to the store. They only cover you if you are on your way to or from an event. Regardless what the salesman tells you it is what is written in the contract that counts. Make sure you read it thoroughly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:50 am:

I second that
Taylor is surprisingly great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:22 am:

I had JC Taylor at first then they had a problem with me doing tours on my own and wanted to limit me on how many miles I drove my Model T. and I switched to Hagerty, I feel that there rates are just a bit higher than the rest but with the tow package I feel it's worth every cent. Been with them for 10 years now. The only time I ever had any problems with Hagerty was once when I broke down the lady I was talking to kept wanting a cross street, Where I broke down there was no cross street and I no idea where one was as this was one of those trips that I just picked a direction and drove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Will - how would JC Taylor have problems with you driving the car? They have no mileage restrictions.

My JC Taylor coverage includes towing so I don't quite understand that one either?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

hagerty paid on a friends bike when it was setting in frt of a bar when someone hit it.that will be hard to beat!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

I get mine with State Farm. I have everything with them. 10$ per 1000$ coverage. Full coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

I use state farm. I checked with the specialty companies, they required me to have the full coverage all year. State farm let me drop it down to storage for the winter. That kept the price about the same. The big difference is my umbrella policy covets the T. If I used a specialty insurance it would not be add to the umbrella.

Look at your options, ask lots of questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I use haggerty. Never had a claim but the price and coverage were great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Royce, Not sure as to why now but 10 years ago JC Taylor said I could only tour in club runs and I think the milage was like only a 1000 miles a year. The other reason was back then they did not want to insure my Smith Form a Truck because it was a conversion from a Model T. I had mentioned that to them at their tent at Hershey one year and guy just about flipped. Im kinda sure I was very misinformed but by that time I had already switched to Hagerty. I think maybe someone got retrained after my visit, Especially since I was insuring 5 cars three vintage tractors and 10 hit and miss engines and because of the lady that gave me the bad infor JC Taylor lost a lot of money on me. Once I have an insurance company I like I trend to stay with them. To the guys with State Farm, Buyer beware, State Farm screwed me real bad once. Run far and run fast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

I use Haggerty. Had a claim and they were quick, fair and friendly. Hope I never have another claim, but nice to know they are in the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

I currently use auto owners group for collector car insurance. Fair rates but if I changed it would be to haggerty. No reason just name recognition if you ever use it. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

American Modern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

I had a major claim with Hagerty and was treated very well indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

Haggerty in my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

Hagerty. When I first bought my T I called them after the car had already been picked up from OK and was in transit. They bound the policy back to the pick up date. Shipping damage was discovered after delivery and Hagerty began processing the claim even before I had received the bill for the policy! They were very helpful and paid quickly.

On a tour my carb float kept getting stuck and I had to call Hagerty roadside service (comes with policy). They promptly sent a flat bed with soft straps to take me home.

I've added 2 additional cars with no problems - super easy process. Superior customer service.

They had a regional rep come speak at a T Club meeting. She pointed out Hagerty wants cars driven so there are no restrictions on type of driving(family, groceries, even MT500). Plus they support the "culture" with a great magazine, car show support, special event support, and a youth education program.

I still have AAA for roadside svc (and maps) but am very happy with Hagerty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

I go with Hagerty. Taylor gave me problems years back that really ticked me off. They cancelled my policy with ZERO notice. No invoice, no nothing. They finally admitted their computer crashed and they lost all trace of me. Might have been forgivable were it not for their snotty attitude about it. I drove a whole summer with NO insurance. Finally figured out it's been a while since I got a bill from them. They denied that I had ever been insured by them, which I had, for over 30 years. G'by!

So, I don't care what Taylor charges, I'm totally happy with Hagerty. Courteous & efficient, with an understanding of the hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

I have Hagerty and while I've never made a claim in 12 years as a customer, I have no reason to complain or go anywhere else.

They offered my own collector insurance policy when I moved away from home at age 21 when everyone else wouldn't insure anyone under 25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Well there you go. All well said. Haggerty's for me. They understand classic cars and there needs. I'm staying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Haggerty here too......with the Plus option which I'm happy I have.
Last Fall I and a couple friends were in my '19 Touring to visit a mutual friend's place and when we were a couple miles short of getting there the engine block popped a "freeze plug".
Because I was within X miles from home they paid the $100 flatbed ride and the only thing it cost me was time.
We all came home and went back in my '27 Tudor....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 01:52 am:

What kind of prices?? American modern First 26t valued at $6000 cost $100, second 25T valued at $6000 cost $60 and third 24 speedster(Roadster, they don't have speedster listed ) valued at $5000 cost an additional $30. So for about $200/year I can drive my T's and yes they require photos of all of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 07:11 am:

John W,
I take it that you mean those are "agreed value" numbers, with no co-insurance requirements.
Any need to keep the autos in a locked garage when not being used?

Any Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability with that?
Towing?
Medical Payments

Other coverages - restrictions?

As others have said, price alone does not a bargain make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 08:03 am:

I am with Royce. I have had JC TAYLOR since 1967.
I've had one claim, No problems. I can drive the car to club functions,car tours and can take it out for short spins. You can not drive the car to work. I know quite a few that do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 08:18 am:

Haggerty......Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:23 am:

JC Taylor. Thirty years. Since 1985.
If you want to teach kids to drive in it you'd need a different company.
J C Taylor will not cover when the driver is under 25.
My daughter wanted to drive my T and my MGB but couldn't
Now at 23 I don't think she cares anymore and has been driving her own car five years.
Now she not interested in collector cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe LaMacchia, St. Louis, MO. on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 10:27 am:

The consensus here seems to be Hagerty. My uncle recommended J.C. Taylor many years ago. He told me that they're one of only a very few out there, and probably the biggest & best. He's the kind of person to get comfortable with something and resists change, he usually lags by a decade, but still a good guy... I checked out Hagerty, and boy I'm glad I did. I was able to do EVERYTHING on line. J.C. requires a phone call and some changes mailed in writing. I also increased the value of vehicles and still saved! Thanks to the MTFCA guys for all the great info!

(Message edited by Lamacchia on July 06, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I agree. _Hagerty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

I chose Hagerty for several reasons: 1) Only one picture was needed; 2) I set the value amount; 3) less driving restrictions (I was able to select how often I drive my car per month); 4) recommendations on the forum when I posed the same question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

I chose Hagerty for several reasons: 1) Only one picture was needed; 2) I set the value amount; 3) less driving restrictions (I was able to select how often I drive my car per month); 4) recommendations on the forum when I posed the same question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

J.C. Taylor told me if my 16 year old grandson was driving and I was in the front seat also that he would be covered. If he drove the carny himself there would be no coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

JC Taylor. No complaints.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration