1926 Coupe top wood questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 Coupe top wood questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

I am about to go buy the wood for the top of my 1926 coupe. I have received wonderful photos and dimensions from Don Booth.

A few questions-
Recommended wood?
Don said he used ash but I want to see what the forum thinks.

Number of pieces?
I can count 9 on the Howell's photo of the roof.
It appears to be 2 side rails, 1 front (header) rail, one center rear rail, and 2 rear corner pieces. It looks like Don merged the rear three pieces into one. Does anybody have good photos of the rear corner pieces?

Howell's Top Wood

Don's Top Wood

Thanks for all the help and for any reference photos you may have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Oops, I meant 10 pieces. 4 bows included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

One last question- What should the grain orientation be for the rear corner pieces, if they are in fact separate pieces? My instinct would be to put it at a 45 degree angle to bridge between the grain orientations of the side and rear pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Good question. I was wondering the same about the type of wood to be used. Some people said to go ahead and use pine, ash, teak etc. I'm thinking that any wood would be ok to use but that you would want the strongest wood available due to the wind drag and movement.

Some places sell this for about $450. I think it would be cheaper on the wallet if we invested our time and skills. I can only try...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I also seen a video someplace that showed a 1927 Model T Coupe owner making his wood top. He did a great job and I believe that he used pine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

I re wooded my 24 Touring with white oak. It's strong and rot resistant. I would not use a soft wood like pine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Ted, are you sure about "rot resistant"? For some reason I've stayed away from Oak because I thought it rots too easy if any moisture is involved. I like working with wood, but I don't know that much about the different types. I know I would not make spokes out of Oak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

White oak is more rot resistant than common red oak. I would likely make the bows themselves out of it, but the side rails I would prefer something more rot resistant and better at taking and holding nails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Whiskey and wine barrels are made of white oak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

I have made some out of poplar. Works easy, straight grain.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration