Giant super head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Giant super head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Scored a 26-27 engine today,guy said it had been in barn 40 years,said it was a running engine when put in barn,wonder how these heads compare to the Z's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Maybe a rookie question, why the sparkplug where the mag connection would be? Is that a possible substitute? Or was it just to fill the hole when the mag was shot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Probably just a way to fill the hole. I like that little foot feed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Randy, you will love that head, hard to come by and never have head gasket issues cast to cast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Selling the head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

If Seth is right and that spark plug is just a hole filler does that suggest the magneto is either absent of wasn't functioning?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 01:33 am:

With the exhaust manifold end open like that I can just about gaurantee that mice have peed inside and rusted the valve stems to the guides. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 07:17 am:

No sell it going on my 27 touring I am bulding engine for,Thanks Joe was going with a Z until I came across this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Great find, a cool and useful accessory :-)

Since it was made back in the days of kerosene infested gas they couldn't raise the compression ratio as much as we can today, so you may expect less improvement than with a modern Z or Prus head, but it's likely still better than many other available modern improvements like a high volume intake.

The Giant Power head was very similar in the combustion chamber design to the Haibe Hipower and the Simmons Super Power - and from this photo you can also tell they were an inspiration for the Z head of today:

giant family

The Tulsa Model T club has measured heads and made a comparison of compression ratios of a range heads they could find some 10 years ago:

comp comp

Today's Z heads may have a larger combustion chamber, since the one I've measured had 220 cc, or 5:1 compression ratio. The Giant head would be similar to the Haibe in the table, with 4.3:1 - the improvement doesn't only lie the difference from std 3.8:1 - it's the improved shape with a squish area over the piston that concentrates the air/gas mix near the spark plug and improves efficiency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:00 am:

A spark plug is not too different from the magneto post. It does the same job of isolating the post but without the pressure and heat requirements.
I have often used spark plugs as a great way of isolating an electrical entry to a high pressure vessel as in a interface detector in a oil / water separator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:14 am:

In militaryspeak, that was:

The use of SP's is a preferable mode of IEE to HPV as ID/OWS's.

Please, make a note of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Burger:
From this and a couple other posts, I see you're on fire this morning! How many cups of coffee? Please translate IEE to HPV as ID/OWS's. I get SP's, the rest is beyond my scope. I will make a note of it!
Thanks, David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Okay,
Not stupid, just slow this morning! (one cup of coffee) compared apples to oranges and realized: isolating an electrical entry to a high pressure vessel as in a interface detector in a oil / water separator. DUH!
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

YOICKS!! Do you have to remove the ground electrode to prevent a SNAFU?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Nice find. Made under Haibe patent. I have a Haibe, Giant power, and Simmons Super Power Heads . This is the first I have seen( Giant super power).Photo of combustion chamber Please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

here you go Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:59 am:

Looks just like the Simmons head in Dean's photos above. Maybe you can put a plug in one of the plug holes, level it on a bench and fill with water with some nice measuring cups you may find in the kitchen for baking and medicine, to see if it differed much from the 15.6 cubic inches the Tulsa club got for the Haibe head? (Though I'd suppose they're similar)

If you want it to be more like a Z in performance you may shave it 0.050" or maybe even 0.100" - check how much meat there is to shave from in the holes and test fit it without any gasket, with modeling clay on the pistons to check clearance for the pistons. Good luck :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration