I regretfully listed my Speedster on eBay and got my first bid

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I regretfully listed my Speedster on eBay and got my first bid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

I can't drive it any more and it's time to pass it on to someone younger who can enjoy it to its full potential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 12:54 am:

That is tough to deal with.
Take the best care you can, for you and the rest of your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Frank:

I am sorry to hear that you can't drive it anymore. I don't know how old you are, but my piano professor, who is 75 and suffering from multiple myeloma, no longer has the strength to play the piano. My heart hurts for him because he was extremely passionate in his craft, especially Chopin. I truly wish you the best, as best as can be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 07:21 am:

Frank: sorry to hear about that she is a fine specimen.I am sure you will find someone to be her caretaker. Good Luck and may God bless you and yours. :-)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-/262492034585?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d1d be9619:g:1nAAAOSw-4BXaIXg&item=262492034585

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Sorry to hear the old girl has to go, It's a tough market for T's right now. Hope you get what your looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Sorry to hear about that. You have a very nice speedster. Take care of your health too!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Sorry to hear that Frank. I will be doing the same before long with my touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Man, this is depressing, makes me wonder if I should even restore my cars. I do notice I am slowing down some, but hope I have a few years left to enjoy them. Frank, you have my deepest sympathies, you too Paul. Jim, I have a friend with a similar problem too, she just can't play her grand because of arthritis, I'm looking into ways to economically give it a lighter touch, as it is a bit heavy (to push down the keys).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

Frank - I would have thought that Son Bill would "carry on" with the famous #22 and keep it in the family,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Harold, you may remember that I did have my own Speedster a few years ago.
The Touring and Coupe work better for Cindy & me. My Dad has owned well over 100 cars and this is just another one of the bunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

But the Pig is still around !

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. I always have a little pain but it is under control. The main issue with driving a Model T is my lazy left foot. It makes it difficult to control the mysteries of the Ford planetary transmission. The last time I drove #22 was last month on a 20 mile trip while reaching speeds of 60 miles an hour to our son Bill's house. I got there safely with Bill riding shotgun for me in his Abarth Fiat 500. Mary and I have had a lot of fun and will miss the activities and friendship associated with the Speedster world.

With the car gone I will take up a more sensible hobby such as dueling, bull riding, or rock climbing. But seriously We still have our Mountain Wagon project going. Terry Horlick sent us the full 20 detailed pages of sketches and plans for "Toady" and we are well underway with the project.

Toady

A Mountain Wagon is a Depot Hack with a convertible top which makes it a sight seeing bus. We obtained Chris Egsgaard's hill climbing BBR RAJO engine and the car from him just six weeks before he died. It is now restored and can tern in the low 5000 r.p.m. range with Miller tubular rods, Ross pistons and all sorts of "Secrets of Speed". It was the fastest ever hill climb engine and will surly be able to pull the Mountain Wagon to the ice cream store at 70 miles an hour.

Hill Climber oiling system

oil pressure

Chris

Chris Egsgaard's Hill Climbing winner

Ross

Special Ross pistons with Miller tubular rods we had made for the BBR RAJO engine for the Mountain Wagon. We are still able to create wonderful things !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

"I will take up a more sensible hobby such as dueling, bull riding, or rock climbing"

Frank, you left off skydiving and bungee jumping!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

No Gary because they don't require any thought so I am not interested in those activities, besides that I can only handle three things at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Great you still have plans for another car - after over 100 cars you could write a book about them ;)

Do you have some kind of automatic transmission for the mountain wagon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

It could be shifted with a hand lever, like a model k, and with so much power you probably won't use low for long periods of time. That would be rather simple to design and fabricate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

We have a T transmission with all new drums and gearing as best as could be found with wooden bands. Also a Layne Warford constant mesh with the updated gearing for a taller low gear (lower numeric ratio). All new 1913 sheet metal, Buffalo wheels Rocky Mountain brakes and a new Brassworks radiator made specially thick to cool a Chevy 350. It will be registered as a 1913 because I have a 1913 engine and all of the correct lamps and trim.

Too bad I sold my C4's to Robert and Erik.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Beautiful engine set up Frank I am to frugal to spend the green. Interesting its your left foot as an issue, my issue is the same. I can drive an automatic well but have trouble feeling a left side peddle with my foot! No automatics on a T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Very sorry to hear that but it sounds like you have had great cars and sounds like you will continue. Really great speedster. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

" I will take up a more sensible hobby such as dueling, bull riding, or rock climbing."

My eldest son used to teach rock climbing and has been up many of the Yosemite and Joshua Tree climbs. Want me to have him call you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Frank, I just saw this thread and was surprised to see my old photo of Toady. After building this you will have a blast touring. Be careful when loading passengers... lard buckets go up front. When that rear seat is heavily loaded the steering gets a mite squirrelly!

Let me know when it is done and I will come down with Rusty for a visit.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Having pinned ankles from club foot surgery as a child, I can appreciate how much it hurts to drive a T.

My left leg is dead from the knee down, so pushing on anything is a gamble. Not looking forward to the day I have to give it up.

It's a nice speedster. If I had the cash, I'd take it....always wanted a race car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Terry, We are using a TT frame as you suggested with a 1913 rear end modified with ball bearing safety hubs and double roller bearing spindle with all new gears and bearings, Rocky mountain brakes and a Z'd rear member. The front end is a Laurel system from Bill Bolen Money is no object, just the fun of it.

rear end on jig

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration