Old Photo - WW 1 Improvised Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - WW 1 Improvised Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Confused with horses, the men continued to bring their new motor vehicles down to the water's edge, thinking they needed a drink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:56 am:

British Light Car Patrol WW1, Middle East, perhaps the Suez Canal.
LC means Mediterranean area (not Light Car).
The trucks (and the soldiers) look quite smart and new-ish, so probably early in the campaign - 1916

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

OH thanks a lot Burger...You owe me a beer that I just spit out all over my computer! Very funny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I thought "LC" meant "Light Cavalry"? I know that in the beginning of automobile use in the military, it fell upon the cavalry to to figure out how to use and care for automobiles.
Just my thought. And, Great photo Jay! Also, thank you Burger! (You would probably know about "LC".)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Wait a minute. WAIT a MINUTE!

Maybe LC should mean "Light Calvary"? They are at the water to Baptize those cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

What about the dual rear wheels on the left side vehicle? How did they do that? I figured since there is an anchor painted on the tail gate the "LC" stood for Landing Craft as was used in the amphibious Navy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Oh boy, with my dyslexia, I did NOT get your pun right away Sheldon!
Now about the soda that went up my nose. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

The left vehicle looks like a Thornycroft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Opps, my bad, it is a Crossley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Burger needs to do stand up ....

He can tell a funny story with a deadpan face.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

I tired stand up, but everyone said, "SIT DOWN!"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Good pick Gustaf. Model T's and 20hp Crossley's
won the war. N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Here are some specifications on the Crossley:
http://www.crossley-motors.org.uk/history/1920/20_25/20_25.html

4 cyl, 276 cu in, 40 hp, a crank shaft with five bearings and pressure oiling - so it wasn't a cheap car like the Ford.
"Twin rear tyres spoked to a single Rudge hub
on many military versions."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:49 am:

A front view?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Great picture. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 08:57 am:

That is a 40/50 Rolls-Royce (Silver Ghost) not a Crossley :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Hey Peter, it is difficult to tell for sure, but it looks to me like the rear suspension is not as substantial as the Rolls Rolls would have had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

A photograph of the same car, definitely a 40/50 RR, at the edge of the suez canal or even possibly on a barge. the Royal Navy used Rolls-Royce, the Royal flying Corps used Crossley, I don't know if that was exclusively but in general that was the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

That pretty much proves me wrong:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Wow, I've never seen those type of wire wheels in dually. Amazing. Looks like the exact same spot as the first photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:11 am:

A bit more of interest on RR and Fords in the war is this article from 1916.
RR Ford

Somewhere also there is a newspaper clipping which tells of a British commander ordering more vehicles, he asked for Fords but was sent Rolls Royce's instead which he then swapped for Fords and the deal was in favor of the receiver of the RR's . Something like 10 RR for 7 Fords ( from memory figures may be wrong but similar)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration