Model T rental rates for movie productions?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T rental rates for movie productions?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

OK.... It finally happened to me....A movie producer making a 1900-1930 Made for TV special called me today seeking cars. I just arrived home from driving to Lockhart in the '29 Ford open pickup for BBQ. He is coming over this afternoon to look at 8 of my antiques of this era. We haven't talked price yet. Do they pay by the day or what? How much - or how little should I expect to receive? Give me some inkling of what to expect guys....Thanks in advance...george

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

I have too little experience here to give much advice. But one thing I do know, is that their liability and your control for what could happen to your car may be far more important than how much base rate they will pay for its use.
Since you are in a rush, I thought I should throw that out to you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the fun! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I've been paid between $250-$800 per day depending upon budget of the project & status of the vehicle. The "Hero Car" commands a lot more than a parked background or blocking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

George,

NEVER rent any vehicle unless you are hired along with it to drive it if it is to be driven.

Be 100% sure that any car you hire out for static scenes be transported to & from location by you and moved to the shot scene only by you.

Anyone wanting to rent your vehicle(s) should be prepared to issue you an insurance binder specifying year - make - model VIN - agreed replacement value before a vehicle leaves your property.

Others may have more advice ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Good advice Wayne, Bill and Jim. Many thanks! Yes, Jim I understand my pay will be low ($75) a day for long days and I'm prepared for that. "Hero" car , huh Wayne? I'll use that term in about an hour. He'll think I'm smart. Any more pearls of wisdom out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I'll add that if you drive in the scene, they pay you as talent. I got hourly pay plus a $50-$75 driver's bonus on several motion pictures. Television & print ads tend to pay more than movies as there are (usually) fewer vehicles involved. When they need a large quantity of vehicles, the budget is spread over more cars.
It is a LOT OF FUN to do these projects. We have been very fortunate to have been in four major motion pictures, two television shows, one commercial and one music video in the past few years. Living near the motion picture capital of the world doesn't hurt :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

OK, ....Thanks Bill. I'm now looking forward to that LOT OF FUN. So he wasn't the big time movie producer. His title is Picture Car Coordinator. And he liked my '10 Maxwell, '11 Hupp and '14 Ford runabout. They'll be needed beginning 2 Fridays from now and will be paid $400 @ day each FOR SHOOTING DAYS. they might be used one day a week but will be in a building at night and we'll actually have a contract. And he wants me to be on set when they're used to drive them for which my remuneration will be $150 @ day. Now I have to relearn how to drive these non T s. Thanks for the hints friends. The "hero car" will be some kind of early truck in which 'they' installed an electric motor so the dialogs could be understood. Weird, huh? It cost the production company $17,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

MY FRIEND DON SKOW WHO HAS PASSED USED TO DO THAT. SOMEONE KEYED HIS CAR. HE RECEIVED $4,000 FOR DAMAGES IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.
RULE OF THUMB: STAY WITH YOUR CAR!!! MAKE THEM PAY FOR YOUR HOTEL ROOM SO YOU CAN BABYSIT YOUR CAR.
MY FRIEND DOWN THE STREET DROVE HIS CAR FOR A MOVIE AND NEVER GOT PAID.
IF SOMEONE STEALS A PART OFF OF YOUR VINTAGE CAR. IT MAY BE WORTH ONLY A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS. BUT IT MIGHT TAKE YOU FIVE YEARS TO FIND A QUALITY REPLACEMENT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

George,

If I understand correctly ...

You are being paid only for the days that they use the cars in a shoot ?

Then your cars will be stored in a building at night ?

Then they have (3) of your cars for let's say a week - but only pay you $150 a day if they are used in a shoot ?

That does not sound like enough money for the risk of damage to your cars ....

They could not rent a sub-compact car from a rental car company for a week at that rate - whether they drove the rental car or not ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:04 am:

I have had two experiences with movie cars. One was as the veteran vehicle wrangler. I was paid to move/ site cars on set and get them in and out of storage. My fee was my workshop rate, for as long as I was on set and including time to get the cars back into storage. None of the cars were mine.

On the second go, I used my car. They paid my workshop rate from the time I left home until I got home again. I did all the driving. It sure was more interesting than working at home.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 06:55 am:

It's interesting, but be prepared to be bored for times too! Shoot a scene, then wait two hours while they set up same scene over or another scene.

My main experience was in a movie shot in New Orleans, and I had two early cars in it, a 1909 Sears Autobuggy and a 1910 Hupp. Pay was good (1980's) at $200 per car per day and $100 for me per day as an extra.

When you negotiate your contract, try to get access to the food buffet that the people in the movie are using..it'll be good stuff.

During one lull in the shooting, I was talking to Jack Warden, and asked him if all movie shoots went this slowly...he said yes, it can get boring between shoots, but it has it's moments!

And, of course, make sure your insurance will cover you car, or the production company has insurance on your car...most collector policies are void if you're making money with your vehicle...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:22 am:

Jim,
It looks like he would be paid as much as $1350.00 per day for his three cars and himself.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:25 am:

Unless that $1350 is for the first day and $150 per day after that if you are used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:42 am:

I met a guy who rented an antique snowmobile that was to be "found" in a storage facility for $175 per day for four days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Robbie,

I missed the $400 per day per car.

I am assuming they are needed for one week but it might be longer.

I am also assuming the " Picture Car Coordinator " is attached directly to the actual movie/t.v. show being filmed.

He could be a sub-contractor supplying cars to this particular production.

But - with no guarantee the car(s) would be used at all - to have (3) of your vehicles on loan for a week or more and being stored on location ....

Unless I was getting an agreed amount upfront for each day my car(s) were gone - I would not agree to do it.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:45 am:

That was a lot on no information Allan, so what was your pay rate please in real terms $$$, not workshop rate as this is side stepping the question. Im charging $800 a day plus transport for the use of my vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:55 am:

Do a little searching on this site and you'll find plenty of horror stories. The only car I I would rent is one that I was in all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:05 am:

I have quoted $1600 a day for my tank plus low loader quote to and from the site and I drive it.
I even have a tank handler on some jobs who drives it a bit excessive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Wow ! Lots of good advice. Thanks to all. Jim, I am promised $400 per car per day when they are involved in filming. And whenever they're driven or moved, I'll be the one doing it and will receive $150 @day. So, yeah. There may be days when none of them are involved in filming and they'll be in a building about 30 miles away and I'll be at home. Jim, I'm a newby at this but I wouldn't think any production company would pay per day per car when it's simply out of your possession. 10-4 on the buffet David. I hear they throw legendary feeds. So your '10 Hupp is the last of the brass radiators and my '11 is the first of the sheet metal shell radiators, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:02 am:

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, be CERTAIN that your insurance carrier will cover you while the car is rented. OR, be CERTAIN that the production company has insurance that covers your car in the event of damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:32 am:

George,

It sounds like they don't know what specific cars they need for the production so they are scouting your area for possible candidates.

I know nothing about movie or television production.

But it seems members who have had success in this area negotiated specific use and remuneration agreements in advance.

It would appear your car(s) are potential extras to be determined at a later date once they leave your property.

They will be stored with who knows how many other cars for an indeterminate amount of time under unspecified conditions.

I doubt any insurance company would extend coverage under those conditions.

Sure you want to roll the dice ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:50 am:

George, was it Blacks, Smittys or Kreuz?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 11:30 am:

I would charge a refundable deposit of $2000 that they would forfeit if they cancel the movie. Then $725 per day of filming daytime $85.00 per hour extra during nigh time, plus $150 for every bullet hole you have to repair after the shooting.
Inform your insurance and see what they charge extra and tag that on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Don't forget if they use the car AND they use you, you get money for each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

And still the excellent advice continues! Thanks again guys. Joe, it was none of the above ! It was Chisholm Trail BBQ. Ha! Golly Jim, I sure hope your fears are unfounded. The condition under which they'll be stored will certainly be specified. I will call Hagerty's today and inform them of my intent and participation. Jerry. the picture car coordinator stated the cars will be covered under their insurance at the same time he said the cars AND I will be under contract. This production is supposed to last until November. I'll let ya'll know how this a unfolds

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration