Need to increase front end height 2" Suggestions?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need to increase front end height 2" Suggestions?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Restocreating WWI Light Patrol Vehicle and will always have Model T salad, so originality is not a priority. I've got a 3" difference from the rear to the front which is the rear is higher on my 1915 frame and 26/27 front and rear axles. With the engine out and no rear wooden express body on the frame. So the engine install will not make this situation any better.

Could not find a thread or parts from the vendors for any kind of shackle or lift kit to raise the front end gap between ppurchase and axle about 2". Any suggestions?

I do have the lowered spindles, but don't want to swap them out due to expense and I don't know if that will hurt or help my situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

You could try a TT truck front spring, but you will have to have the attaching parts to go with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Spindles are not that expensive, and that would raise your front end about 2". Problem solved! Much easier than changing out the spring, BTW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Maybe a combination of raising front end and lowering rear end a bit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 01:23 am:

A pre 26 car spring also has a higher arch than a 26. That would help. The difference between a 25 spindle and a 26 spindle is 1/2 inch. Not much help. I would suggest getting the engine in and the body on and then make the changes. If you have enough clearance to remove a leaf or 2 at the back, that may do the trick. I you google "mtfca forum height differences 25 & 26 spindles" a wealth of information is available.
Here is one of the links http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/227381.html?1312252299

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Parking it on a slight up grade would create the illusion it's even.

Just looking for a cheap solution for you ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:03 am:

Lots of Spinach ...

Worked for Popeye .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:20 am:

How about reversing a '26 spindle to the upside down position? It might mess up the steering geometry and maybe a few other things too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:27 am:

No clearance for the steering arm upside down. Safe way? Install early spindles and front spring. Assemble vehicle and adjust rear spring to level.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Sit on a phone book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

This may involve destroying an axle but, cut the end off, kick it to the desired height and weld it back together. This may require a jig for accuracy. This would not affect the ride or steering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Re-arch front spring, or purchase new

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

While feeling around the front axle, with my engine out and the wishbone floating free, the leaf spring was sitting almost directily on the front axle with the spring U bolts in a down slanted position. I grabbed the top crossmember and pulled up and the entire frame came up on the U bolts and the axle dropped down and the spring U bolts are now slanted down from the leaf spring to the axle mount and the leaf spring is centered from side to side.
I trust that this is correct and after the engine is in and the rods are connected to the bottom of the pan, this will keep everything in alignment and the height will remain where it is now, which is within 1/2" lower than the rear of the frame to the ground.

I can take a photo if it helps explain my current position, but the height is now acceptable.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration