Problem with ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Problem with ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan mcclure on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Recently I replaced the large drum inside my ruckstell before I replaced it the rear shifted just fine, but after the replacement of drum and thrust washers and ring bolts it runs fine in low but when I shift into direct, it wants to pop into neutral? I remove the shift hub, replaced the tension spring, greased it and replaced it and it still pops out of gear. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Alan do you know if your P147 was put in on the same side prior to the rebuild? That bronze lock gear can be flipped to get the best teeth for the P146 to slide into and have a solid shift that will hold. Some times it can actually be the P146 have rounded splines that don't hold it into the P147 and sun gear,P145.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan mcclure on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

It was installed the same way it came out? I think? If that is the part that controls the shift from low to hi I'll just replace it with new as I want positive shift and no neutral.... I guess I'll tr
Ear it apart and see how bad or good it is... Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

If you do not have Glen Ghaffin's Ruckstell repair manual, it would be a good idea to pick one up. Glen goes into detail about the sliding gear clutch fitment and wear, and how to avoid the dreaded high gear neutral situation. Since Glen manufactures the new Ruckstell kits and all the new replacement parts, talking to Glen is like talking to Grover Ruckstell himself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan mcclure on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Went out for another test ride and the rear made a grinding noise so I stopped and got my trailer then pulled the rear end out thrust washer blew apart among other things so I now have a major project to do! Thanks for your reply

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Alan I'm assuming(dangerous)that the thrust washer was bronze not babbitt and that you replaced the 4 pins that position the 2 spacer washers that cradle the bronze thrust washer. Did you replaced the fiber spacer between the axles?
When you were checking the lash on the crown gear & pinion gear did you notice if the pinion gear was proud of the crown gear and may be hitting the bolts that fasten the crown gear down. Things to consider and like John said get Glen's book. Let us know what you find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Bronze thrust washers don't fly apart so you must have used an old Babbitt washer. Bad Idea. Read the book and do exactly what it says in the order presented. Don't skip around or omit any steps. The results will be a well working Ruckstell that will give you many years service.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration