A bit OT, but 'progress for Cops'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A bit OT, but 'progress for Cops'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

And, a great idea! Hope it becomes properly issued 'standard equipment' soon...
http://www.powernationtv.com/post/mobilespike-may-stop-you-dead-in-your-tracks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Pretty cool for catching bad guys. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

I watched the video.

A standard police vehicle is not an assault vehicle.

When you start modifying a standard police vehicle into an offensive weapon - bad things can happen.

I can see this " accidentally deploying " and badly injuring or killing someone just driving down the road.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

Great idea. I doubt it will ever be utilized in California because when the first fatal collision occurs as a result of using this technology, both the municipality and the manufacturer will be sued for negligence. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen time and time again. Lawyers are great at going for the deep pockets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

-FJ-
Not difficult to identify WITH your thoughts. Especially if it's a 'loose cannon' in the squad. Would think there could be some common sense utilized, both with personnel and equipment. More innocent people have been killed by irresponsible 'flight' than the pursuit itself. Any safer???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

Marv,

Just lead the pursued vehicle to the nearest major interstate ....

The pursued vehicle will most likely blow out a tire just with all the crap on the road in most states ...

I just lost another trailer tire and the rim it was mounted on late this afternoon at the TR National Park exit in Medora, ND.

Sheriff Deputy stopped as I finished up & reflected upon the fact I was the third trailer flat tire in that particular construction zone headed west in the past two days ..

He got to wondering maybe the construction vehicles might be losing parts of their load on the road ..

Ya' Think ?

I don't even bother breaking down my 3 ton aluminum racing jack just keep it in the trailer lodged between 2 mounted trailer spares.

I usually carry 3 ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:24 am:

No. Heaven forbid we implement anything to make a cop's job easier. Everyone knows ALL cops are homicidal racists just itching to violate the rights of law abiding tax payers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:53 am:

I agree with Freighter Jim's first post. I do not believe that ALL cops are homicidal racists Hal, but that device has the potential to do a lot of damage. The car that is to be stopped (obviously) is moving. Presumably so is the cruiser; even if the device works as advertised, there is the very large potential for a bad accident when the pursued car has a blown tire at speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:50 am:

There is risk in allowing the pursued car to continue as well. As society, we need to stop blaming the cops for the ills brought on us by perpetrators. The sooner you stop them, the sooner the risk of injury to others drops by a significant number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

Couldn't say for sure on this particular device, but most of these type things result in a slow flat, not a sudden blowout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Hal
I think ur right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

I do know of people killed by a fleeing vehicle, (while going in an opposite direction on the 4-lane Interstate), avoiding the 'stop sticks', and then to cross the open median. The collision wasn't good for anybody.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

So, let's say the cops let him go when he decided to run, only to find out later he was headed to carry out a terrorist attack or that he was a sex trafficker that had just kidnapped your granddaughter. Maybe giving him a flat tire isn't so bad, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Where I used to live in Northern NY there was a purse snatching at a local store. The local law enforcement saw the reported car and took chace. After a high speed chase through small rural streets the bad guy ran a stop sign with the officer in close pursuit T boned a car with a 65 year old lady and her 5 year old granddaughter inside. They were killed instantly. The officer was able to avoid the collision and it just happened that the bad guy lived. Because the officer choose to not let the bad guy go and catch him later two innocent people died over $8.00 and some change. What needs to change is the way law enforcement do their job. A little more common sense and a lot more thinking about what could happen. Does the punishment to the innocent bystander justify the crime that happened? It's possible that stop sticks may have worked in this case but I don't think they would had time to lay them out. It's just my opinion but I feel that once law enforcement has enough information to get the bad guy later the high speed pursuit needs to come to a stop before more innocent lives are taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Do we think 'An Innocent Individual' has a need to flee? Highly unlikely....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

-Will-
I do agree with you. "The problem with common sense is that it isn't all that common!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Unfortunately, innocent individuals do sometimes flee. In some cultures, children are taught from birth that the police are bad, and sometimes these individuals will run when they are guilty of nothing more than making a "California Stop". The LEO has no way of knowing the difference, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

The video reported high-speed pursuit fatalities of "11,500 (consisting of) 138 officers, 6,301 suspects, and 5,066 Bystanders." The period of time or where they get their stats is unknown, but again, some 'common sense' may be a bit of an answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Police have a rough job now days. I think they should do what they need to do when slowing a car acting crazy in traffic. Everyone one on the PC tv channel's (not FOX) makes it sound like all cops are bad, but most of them wouldn't hesitate to call if they have a intruder at their home tonight. Why if they are bad? They are doing a JOB like the rest of us.. I have had my share of tickets, so it's not that!!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

It ain't just the PC news channels, either. High ranking politicians too. I mean HIGH ranking!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration