My new tool can be T related but not a T, lathe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My new tool can be T related but not a T, lathe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Picked this up late last week. 9 inch Altas made sometime in the mid 30's, Pat. date 1933. Gave $250 for it. Sucker is almost 5 foot long and has 36 inches between centers. I will have to add some bracing to the bench, it has metal legs. Glad I had made the long enough but I never dreamed of one this long! 6 inch 3 jaw chuck, 6 inch face plate and I hope all the gears. Put new belts on it. All I need to do is find a motor, a dead center is on it's way, I will get a live center later after I play with it a while. I need to find an original type tool post, the one that came with it is ok but only fits 3/8 inch bits and no adjustment for height. I checked for bed sag, there might be a little but with the straight edge I was using, that's subjective to it's condition! :-) I have had the Jacobs armature chucks for a while.

(Message edited by redmodelt on June 22, 2016)

(Message edited by redmodelt on June 22, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Nice lathe! I love old machine tools. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

Nice!!! I was lucky enough to inherit my Grandfather's early 40's Montgomery Wards Power-Kraft Lathe. It came to me with a 5" 3-jaw, 6" 4-jaw, face plate and most of the other tool holders, centers and miscellaneous items that were available for that model of lathe. Wards had some really good stuff back then.

I can tell you're really going to have fun setting it up and working with it. They sure come in handy, especially when you'er part of the T world.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Great score for $250.00. I'm envious now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

When Dad sold the property that he spent his youth at down at Mt Angle Or I brought my great Uncle's South Bend up to Mom and Dad's. It's shorter and an 8 inch swing same babbitt bearings but a lot stouter. I may get it someday but for now I have some fun with this one.
The first thing I want to do is redo some Model A front hub bolts to work with Model T rear wire wheel hubs, I will need to cut the shoulder back just a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:13 am:

You got a great deal on that one. My project this week is cleaning out space in the east room of my shop so I can unload the Craftsman that's been sitting in the Suburban since I bought it in April.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Mark, you have been up to the same thing as me, just got through bringing in a new haven drill press that weighs about a ton. Also drug in a 1906 patent monarch 16x12 lathe and a steinel horizontal mill and buckets of bits cutters and reamers. Wife wanted to know why and I told her because it was there and I couldn't stand to see it go for scrap. Already ran the monarch and steinel some. Haven't got the drill press in the shop yet as I haven't figured out how to stand it up (Over 8and a half feet tall). Also got a couple of fordson major tractors in the deal. If my buddy Rick Moore over at Pickwick hadn't helped I don't know how I would have done it! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

It was wild to say the least. They don't make tools like that any more. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration