Top dressing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Top dressing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I'm looking to redo the top dressing on my 1921 coupe where do you find it.Thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

What kind of top material does it have? Original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

Whether this may be helpful or not is up to you. "DIY Waterproofing"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/as-spring-starts-to-roll-around-with-bulbs-1157235743 05.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

I would stay away from silicone.

Old fashioned top dressing found in a metal can and applied with a brush is very hard to find.

My dad had a 1927 Hupmobile sedan - unrestored with only 10,000 miles on the odometer.

After cleaning the leatherette top with mild soap and water and letting it dry, he would apply black Kiwi shoe polish and then buff it with a horsehair shoe brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Maybe it's the top covering itself that needs to be replaced on Ross' coupe?
https://www.modeltford.com/item/RCK131.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

I think what I'm looking for is the stuff in the metal can . I just want to give a fresh coat as it is coming off in a couple spots. thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

I am afraid the lack of call for such a product has rendered it extinct. "This product has been discontinued by Griot's Garage. We apologize for the inconvenience" is what I found in searching. My eBay search showed 3 each 60's type containers for vinyl tops and digressed into Models posing in vinyl dresses. There may be a cache laying on a shelf somewhere but likely has started drying out.
Don't give up looking.
Rich

I ordered some from J. C. Whitney in the 60's. Wish I had a can of this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

I found 3 cans of this in a barn where I bought a lot of T
Stuff I am sorry I didn't buy all 3 it is perfect and was subject
To freezing temps for 25 years or more go figure ? Jim\
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordtt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Jim, that's some old stuff. "Leather, Mohair and Rubber tops". I think these rim paint and tire "re-nu" cans must be 70 or 80 years old. I haven't opened them but one seeps in hot weather. It would be interesting to know what is in there and if it could be used. Maybe hazardous waste. I'll wait a while.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Lang's sells a top dressing check their catalog.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration