Why not make these?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Why not make these?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Seeing the good news that John Regan is now making correct drive shafts, I got to wondering about another part not now being made.

The #6154 fuel inlet is available (used) from Lang's for $10. They and other dealers also sell a modern one for less. Why isn't anyone making this one? High production cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

How many do you need? They are pretty easy to find at my house. I think the laws of supply and demand may be the reason no one is tooling up to make them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

I'll bet Royce is correct on this item, too many around. Most of us likely have a soup can (or coffee can) full of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

I'll bet more people pull them off and replace them with a valve than there are folks that want to buy one outright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

They're kinda scarce around here too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Hal...yep, I just took off the elbow and put on that expensive period correct valve from Langs on my '13 this afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

I've piked them up before, usually attached to a carburetor body or in a bunch of other parts, but my recent experience has been like Jack's. I've been watching for them at swap meets, and they seem to be getting scarce. I'm using them at the carb to maintain the stock appearance, and setting up a long handle to reach the valve at the sediment bulb without crawling under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Yep, I just ordered the valve myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

I have an extra one or two. Use to see them at swap meets in junk boxes of this and that. Never really looked for them until I needed one. I usually found one in my parts boxes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Hal - I agree with you as it seems many "T's have had that original type 90 deg. plain elbow replaced with the 90 deg. elbow with a shut-off valve built into it that most "T" parts suppliers sell. That is certainly a good addition as a "safety" item in the event of leaking gasoline due to the common stuck float valve problem. However, I have always thought that a better "modification" is to leave the original (or original) type elbow in place, and install a shut-off valve in the fuel line a couple inches back from the elbow, with a union between the elbow and shut-off valve. That way, to remove the carburetor for instance, which is necessary for various reasons from time to time, or for a "flooding emergency", you can quickly & easily shut the valve off, then break the union between valve and carburetor, and remove the carburetor without crawling under the car to shut off the fuel flow at the "potato", which, by the way, is often "stuck". Anyway, just sorta' "think'n out loud" again,....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Hal - I agree with you as it seems many "T's have had that original type 90 deg. plain elbow replaced with the 90 deg. elbow with a shut-off valve built into it that most "T" parts suppliers sell. That is certainly a good addition as a "safety" item in the event of leaking gasoline due to the common stuck float valve problem. However, I have always thought that a better "modification" is to leave the original (or original) type elbow in place, and install a shut-off valve in the fuel line a couple inches back from the elbow, with a union between the elbow and shut-off valve. That way, to remove the carburetor for instance, which is necessary for various reasons from time to time, or for a "flooding emergency", you can quickly & easily shut the valve off, then break the union between valve and carburetor, and remove the carburetor without crawling under the car to shut off the fuel flow at the "potato", which, by the way, is often "stuck". Anyway, just sorta' "think'n out loud" again,....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Sheeesh! It's a good thing I'm not chewing gum too or I'd probably "triple post"! Sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

We have new ones with the nut P/N 6154 We also have the antique looking shutoff valves with elbow and nut P/N 6154V. See our new catalogue for photos.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration