Hemmings Cruise In June 23, 2016

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hemmings Cruise In June 23, 2016
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 12:56 am:

This evening I drove my latest T acquisition, a '24 runabout, from my home in Keene to Bennington Vermont to attend a Cruise In hosted by Hemmings Motor News.

http://www.hemmings.com/events/cruise-ins

I had been wanting to go to one of these events for a few years, but just never seemed to be able to make it happen for any number of reasons.

I know that some of you are almost constitutionally opposed to cruise ins, car shows, and the like and if I'm honest I am not a huge fan of them either as I prefer to drive my car. A car show limited to pre-war vehicles may capture my interest. I do feel a sense of moral obligation to attend the occasional car show or cruise in so that the general population can see "up close" a REAL antique car.

I was sitting on the running board sipping from a bottle of water and noticed a young (mid 20s) man looking over my car intently. I asked if he had any questions. He responded that he had been to many car shows and had never seen one like this. The look on his face was that of a person having an epiphany. I commented that they weren't all made of fibreglass and did not come from the factory powered by a Chevy 350. I answered questions and explained things. Speaking to that young fellow absolutely made my night and was the icing on the cake.

I had the only Model T there and the oldest car.

For those of you unfamiliar with this part of New England, the sixty miles of Route 9 from Bennington, Vermont to Keene, New Hampshire are not all flat. There are several hills to climb and descend which focus your attention. I am proud to state that there was no need to employ the low pedal. (No Ruckstell.) The last half of the return trip was made in darkness and the headlamps performed satisfactorily.

Free Popcorn.

My lonely runabout.

On the return journey at the summit of Hogback Mountain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 04:35 am:

Bill, let me know the next one you plan to go to and I will meet you up there. I knew there was a reason I should have put mowing the lawn off:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 05:56 am:

Bill, I have to ask, how did it go going up Hogback Mountain. I often find even in modern cars I have to downshift to get up some of those steep hills. I was wondering how a T would do going up it as I think about/ would really like taking mine through there someday.

Consequently, How is it coming down the other side. Do you just close the throttle and use the engine to keep the speed down? Always afraid of overheating the low drum going up and the brake drum coming down.

My wife and I LOVE going to the Chelsea Royal Diner in Brattleboro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 06:16 am:

Actually alot of Model T Fords go to the Hemmings Cruise Night. There is a man from Hoosick Falls New York with a 26 Runabout. There is a man from Pittsfield Mass with a 26 tudor. There is also a man in Bennington with a nice Depot hack, and there is a guy with a 22 Runabout from stephentown New York. there are also some very nice early cars that go. There is a 1909 Cadillac from New Hampshire, there is a 1904 Stanley and a 1911 Stanley from Bennington. I hope to have my 1915 Speedster there for next season. Hopefully we can someday get everyone in the area together because the Berkshires in Vermont and Upstate New York have more ts than people realize. And that area has excellent back roads and some really interesting things to see it would be nice to have a tour group. Wow I have the other guys in my area on this thread does anyone have a good drive shaft :-) ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Hi Chad,

The car climbed Hogback Mountain and Prospect Mountain (that's the speed bump east of Bennington as you head into Woodford) rather well, most of the way up was about 35 MPH dropping to about 30 near the top. Gotta find that sweet spot and then "don't touch nuthin' jes let'er work". As I stated in my original post, I did not need low pedal and the car does not have a Ruckstell. It does have domed pistons and a Holley NH straight through carburettor. The car is no hot rod, but it runs well enough. Properly adjusted coils make a Big Difference. Thank you Mike Kosser and your ECCT.

As to the descent; for most big hills I decrease speed as I approach the summit to ensure that I won't start down too fast. I keep the throttle closed and the spark retarded with an occasional tap on the Rockies. Nothing "white knuckle" about it, but I AM focused!

You should make the journey east as it is beautiful country with some dramatic views.

Hi David,

You stated that a lot of Ts show up at the Hemmings Cruise In. I must have come on the wrong night. Perhaps I, too, should have stayed home and been productive. Oh well. I did pick this show as it was close to the summer solstice, maximizing my daylight driving for the return home.

I agree that there are wonderful roads in the area for touring, some are a bit hilly but they offer impressive panoramas.

Sorry, no spare driveshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Agree the mountains can be a problem but the good thing is most can be avoided with Backroads Vermont has excellent back roads as well as Massachusetts you just need to find them. I know the area very well up to Manchester and down all the way into Great Barrington Massachusetts. That way I can avoid all roads over 40 miles per hour and all traffic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration