1911 Open Runabout pedal queation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1911 Open Runabout pedal queation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 01:20 am:

Just got my 1911 Open Runabout # 38429 going after several years of mechanical work. The car was restored by Howard Caccia in the 60's? and last owned by Jack Hanrahan, founding member MTFCA. It had a broken crankshaft, so I used a new SCAT and went through everything mechanical. It runs & drives great now, but the pedals don't seem to have enough stroke, and either drag on low & brake or don't work. I saw on an earlier post of the differences between the Torpedo / OR and other T's where Russ Furstnow stated even the pedals were special. The pedals on this car show more wear than any of the rest of the thoroughly authentic chassis that I wondered if they were changed at some point? How do I tell the difference between OR pedals and standard ones? Thanx Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 08:16 am:

The pedals used on 1911 open and closed runabouts are simply 1909-10 pedals re-bent, mainly to clear the lowered steering column used on these cars.

1909-10 pedals use different pedal ramps on the transmission cover than those used on 1911 and later standard model Ts. They are not really interchangeable, and you should check to see if 1) you have the correct pedals, and 2) matching pedal ramps. It is also helpful if the ramps are not excessively worn.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Well, I looked at it today, it has a square hole hogshead, with a stamped steel Ford Script cover that has 1911 and a capital F hand stamped in it. The pedals and ramps seem OK, no appreciable wear and they mate just fine. Whether or not they are 09-10 pedals and ramps I have no way of telling. I used NY NeverWear Kevlar on low & brake and wood on reverse. I have had good luck with this combo in the past. The brake pedal at rest is lower than R or Low, could certainly use more stroke before it hits the floor, maybe it has only 1 1/2" total throw right now. Low appears to be a more normal throw, and does not hit the steering column base, but your toes sure do. I'll try driving it without the toe boards in and see if that's any better. Thanx Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:08 am:

I have 38575 and it has the wide square hole hogshead and the wide one piece pan. The pan can be checked on a K R W crank case aligning jig. I think yours would be the same. It also has an open valve block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:33 am:

The brake pedal forging should have the number T4323 and be bent rearwards to clear the floorboards in a 1911 Torpedo or Open Runabout. Maybe you have a pedal from a regular Touring that needs some reshaping to work well - or maybe it is the original pedal that has been bent in use over the years?

Here's a thread with pictures where a regular 1913 has an odd brake pedal bent to the rear that may actually have been from a 1911 Torpedo? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/359310.html?1367709603

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:04 am:

I had the opposite problem several years ago. A 1910 touring had a set of pedals from a 1911 torpedo runabout. This made using low impossible with the floor boards installed.

The low pedal is the earlier style and as Trent said it is bent to fit the torpedo floorboards. The reverse pedal is the longer earlier style, and the brake pedal is also the longer early style. In this case all three pedals have a DB cartouche.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Operating purely from memory, I am pretty sure that only 2 of the pedals are in fact different from "normal" with the REVERSE pedal being standard issue while LOW and BRAKE are bent special.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Thanx, guys. Yes this one has the wide trans cover and one piece pan. I straightened it on a pan jig before installation.Also has the open valve engine. Odd that the shipping documents state its a "babbitt engine", but it is not. The date stamp on the trans shaft is 12-27-1910. I do have a 1913 touring to compare pedals with. Best Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Jeff,

In the photo of the two Clutch pedals in the vise the top pedal would be the same as your 1913. The lower one is 1911 torpedo.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration