Home-built HCCT and Magnet ring charger

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Home-built HCCT and Magnet ring charger
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Yesterday I retrieved some equipment from an old friend's shop. His son-in-lay was kind enough to offer them to me.
Now the charger, I have seen used, and have benefited from its use. The flywheel with magnets attached was mated to its coil ring and this charger used to charge the magnets. I don't remember the "pick-up" test results, but we did have to pry the coil stack off the flywheel with a crowbar, and he had a Ford script magnetic field tester, and the magnets pegged the needle. Of course, the ultimate test was/is, the car could be hand crank started on the mag.
It's been long enough ago that I will have to trace the wiring to remember how it was done. I think you charged the capacitor underneath with the knife switch, then zapped the magneto by connecting the two contacts.
Now for the HCCT, it looks like I will want to add the spark ring and a more accurate ammeter, as the one on it right now doesn't have any scale below 2 amp, from 2-5 amps it is dived by 1/4 amps. The voltmeter read to 15 volts.
I love the stand that it's on, it makes it easy to store in a corner of the shop until needed. I haven't checked the magnets to see if they're still strong.

Charger-in-a-box
Magnet charger in a box

HCCT front view
HCCT front view

HCCT Right side
HCCT right side

HCCT Left side
HCCT Left side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Neat find David, should save a lot of work from a scratch build. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Very cool

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration