OT maybe? Activity here compared to the DB club site

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT maybe? Activity here compared to the DB club site
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

It is interesting to compare the amount of activity here to another old-car site I check, the Dodge Brothers Club. Since June 1, only three subjects have been posted, the last posting by me on June 20, and that was the third response to the initial question. The subject has been viewed 25 times (it's on rebuilding ignition switch that is very similar to the Model T's dash switch).
Now back in May someone posted a "looking for wire wheels" question that the site reports 2,463 viewings! There's actually quite a few posting that have over 1,000 viewings, but I'd say the average number is between 100 to 400 viewings. The usual number of responses is under 10.
Of course, they don't allow "OT" stuff like we do--maybe that's the difference??
I think this Forum should get some sort of award for being the best-used & most-liked specific subject forum on the web!
I know it suites me to a T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

I am well aware that there are quite a few people (regulars on this site) that disagree with me. But I truly think the "back porch", "OT", camaraderie on this site contributes a lot to its activity and popularity. I consider most of the regulars on this site to be actual friends, even if I have never spoken to them face to face. Certainly, if you attend an actual club meeting, or tour, other subjects are discussed in person that are not model T related. And getting to know people here as more than just some other old car guy helps one to understand their answers and expertise.
That has been and still is, my opinion.
Thank you my friend David D!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

I put together a car club that was more about fun than about the cars. Our magazine made fun of our cars
(and the nutcases that owned them) and this set the tone for a really fun group. For a local club, we had a large
membership of over 100. At one point, it looked like I was going to leave the area, and handed over the reins
to a young and excited guy and thought it was in good hands. He cut out all the BS and got very serious about
"business". People got bored and the club dwindled to under 25. Later, after I did not move, I was asked to revive
the old ways, and with the help of another humorist, we did and people jumped back in the game.

People are not one-dimensional cardboard cutouts with nothing deeper than a car interest. They have lives and
interest, and most enjoy some good humor and having fun. When a car-oriented group becomes all about "business",
it becomes boring and unless a person has some "business" to be asked about, that's it .... crickets. My cars are
just PART of my life and more of a reflection of all that other stuff than the other way around. That's what makes
this forum interesting. Remove the "people" side of things and it becomes a one-dimensional dullardfest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Yeah, what Burger said.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Variety is the spice of life. ~ Ed Sullivan

OK, so Ed wasn't the one who said it. But it's true. The OT posts steam boats, dogs, old movies, corn bread, D Day, radio, puppets, cabinetry, vintage photography, Wyatt Earp, cisterns, etc., etc. are part of what makes this such an active forum. But there aren't enough OT posts to fully account for the high level of activity. Another part is the obsolete software, apparently especially comfortable to devotees of obsolete transportation. Add the expertise of old timers, the flashes of humor and wit, and news of personal life as she is lived, and you have a combination that many find addicting, despite the occasional descent into political dementia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Where did you read about the cisterns? Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Earlier this year there was an old photo that had a cistern in it, leading to remarks on what it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

I think I remember seeing Steve IN a cistern or sump in the last year or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

As long as it was a cistern and not an outhouse hole. . . .
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

This is a very unusual site as far as collector car/club sites go. I actually don't recall how I found it or did it find me? It really is social media for most of the regular posters and you guys have listed the reasons for it's heavy usage. I'll add it's slightly out of date format is appealing to us old timers and it feels like home. At least to me it does and I'm here, usually, a number of times a day. May it never change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

Outhouse holes .... a specialty of mine. Seriously.

Roll up with Mr. T. and present the property owner of that ancient house with a proposition
to dig up their yard and unearth all that hidden treasure beneath their feet. It is an amazing
experience.

I show them examples of what we are looking for, the tools we use, and an explanation that
our methods put the lawn right back looking as if nothing ever happened. Many are skeptical,
but once we get permission at one, the whole neighborhood is usually asking US to come dig
their yard !

100-year-old-poop is nothing more than nice soft dirt. Nothing yucky about it anymore. The
bottles and other cool stuff we find is a lot of fun and usually the day turns in to a great adventure
of people showing us the cool stuff they have hiding in their garages, barns, and basements.

We usually leave all we find with the homeowners, who are thrilled to see us work our magic
and keep all their historic treasures. Cisterns were often filled in with trash too and an excellent
prospect for old junk.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration