Bent Ruckstell housing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bent Ruckstell housing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Tonight as I was working on my ruckstell axle which I'm working on for a second time due to rapidly wearing axle shafts I noticed that the ruckstell side axle hosing has a scratch in it from the ring gear. I thought maybe the bronze plate with the big ball bearing on it could be bent so I sat the whole unit in the axle housing and gave it a light spin. The ring gear has a slight bit of run out but, I doubt it's enough to cause the rubbing problem. If I look at the ring gear where the scratch is it's noticeably closer to the axle housing than on the other side. If I rotate the ruckstell unit nothing changes the gaps remain the same. I'm wonder if the axle housing itself is bent. If that's the case the center part of the housing would have to be bent somewhere between the big ball bearing and the bell where the ring gear is rubbing. All the parts are clean and sitting flat without wobble. Maybe the locking plate that the big ball bearing sits on is warped. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Put a straight edge against the axle tube section and see if it's bent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

Scribe a line around both tires and measure across the lines front, rear, top and bottom. If there is a difference your housing is bent. Also if you have the housing out of the car, rotate the housing and if the wheels wiggle your housing is bent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:28 am:

When I do a rear axle assembles I always check to see if the housings and axles are bent. The housings I have checked have all been bent some more than others. I have a fixture for my lathe to check them out. Saves time by not having to redo them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration