Do you ever take your vehicle out in the winter to get your fix?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Do you ever take your vehicle out in the winter to get your fix?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

I am curious as I would like too myself.
I'd love to try it in the snow when I can, just as it was the norm back when.
What an experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

I drive my T year 'round. I don't live too far from work, and they drive really quite well in the snow. In fact, in one year, I think it was 2013, I drove a T every day of the year. I think I made a video of every day except maybe a couple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Hello.
Uhmm..are you the one on YouTube who has driven his Model T for a year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

No, I never posted my videos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

You ought too!
It is quite something. Remarkable.

How did the car handle in deep snow?
Thank You.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Even in winter I try and drive once or twice a month, sometimes in the rain, sometimes in the snow! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

No chains? Just wrap your rear wheels in ropes and go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

I drive mine year round, but so far only when the roads are clear and (mostly) dry. Just a wimp, I guess. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

That's great. With chains too!
Living History.

How was the car without chains?
No heat/Defrost.Wow.

Thanks a lot for the pictures.Fantastic.
Now, I'm going to have to get the song out of my head-Ironing Board Blues!

The Walton's theme.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Missed the pic. with the ropes.
Ropes....LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Those are my chains for my 91 Dodge Dakota, that why the gap. :-) How is handles in deep snow depends on what kind of snow you have. Here in Portland we have the wet type, does not take much to refreeze and get snotty. After the first time around the block I came home and put them on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Well, you see old movies of the Model T going through snow and mud without much effort. It looks so easy for the vehicle to conquer any terrain.
AND that's without knobby tires!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Summer just started a few days ago, I find this thread very disturbing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have used my Ts in the winter. I do not drive them when the roads are white with "salt" and I won't drive them during a storm as I don't need someone sliding into me. I've started the touring (stem winder) in temps as low as 10 above zero (F) and the coupe as low as 4 above.

The longest winter journey I have undertaken was to a Model T Snowmobile meet at Moulton Farm in Meredith, NH. Round trip mileage was a bit shy of 200 miles.

Go For It!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Such nice pics.
Thanks.
I bought a Speedster because I got rid of my Lotus Esprit .

I always loved sports cars and have had many.

I'm having problems fitting in but modifications can be done.
I was also looking for a car like yours.
History in Motion.
I dig History.

Best to you.
Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:00 am:

This is as about as close to winter driving as any of my 4 T's get! Unless of course it was like the "non-winter" we had last year whereby the roads were salt free most of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Bill, I just love that shot of your coupe in the snowfall!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:07 am:

This is when I lived in Cincinnati. It was 2 degrees and about 20 inches of snow the day before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm204mSzN9M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:43 am:

We drive our T's all year around. But here it only snows a few flakes and then not every year. It is common to be in the 70's F in January. Only gets cold at night.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:05 am:

I've often said I'm going to drive one of my T's at least once during each month of the year. It hasn't happened yet. The latest I've had one out was Christmas Eve and the earliest was the end of March. I guess I'm too much of a wimp to take on January and February in Minnesota. And because I put my cars "away" each fall, it would be just one more day of working in a cold building in below -0- temps to just drive it a mile or two. Yes, I do suffer from Model T withdrawal syndrome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Awww Royce...now why'd ya have to go and show what a wimp I am!! Ha ha...nice '13, neat video. But, it looked like your streets haven't been molested by road salt at that point. My two biggest issues in winter are 1. can't stand the cold, and 2. I have road salt phobia-a.k.a. natriophobia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:44 am:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6vte3igwy4epna/Video%20Jan%2026%2C%2012%2028%2023%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

In 2000, it was snowing the morning of the annual St. Patrick's Day parade in downtown St. Louis. Our Model T club had signed up for six cars, but at 6:30 that morning, the phone lines were buzzing. We all decided that the snow was coming down too hard and heavy to drive the 10-15 miles to get downtown. I got to thinking (and confirmed with a long-time member) that our club had been in every St. Patrick's Day parade here since the first one in the 1970s. I decided to give it a try and if I couldn't make it, I'd turn around and go home. I did have to stop at an AutoZone after a few miles to buy a squeegee because the snow kept building up on my windshield and I couldn't see. I made it downtown. Not only did I have the only Model T in the parade, I also had the only antique car. No one from any of the other car clubs showed up....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

I drive my 1926 TuDor year round also. Seems to go in the deeper snow quite well, stops about as good as any other car, crumby. I have attempted to hand crank the engine during winter days and when the temperature is about 20 degrees it works, between 20 and zero it is hit and miss, but the starter will get her going. It's when it is below zero that the engine turns into a stone. I suppose people from the 20's would either stay home of use the horse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Regularly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Up here as soon as salt the roads my cars are done for the duration.
However a few years ago we had an unusually nice December 14th, there had been little snow and the roads hadn't been salted so I went the 17 miles to visit my old friend, Chet Krause, with the '19 Touring car.
I wore a light nylon jacket and the ride was quite comfortable........ :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

I'm with Craig. Up here in the frozen tundra they start to salt the roads in early December, so by that time I've put the car away up on jack stands.
No sense risking corrosion damage just for a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

I drive mine at once a month in the winter. Always go out christmas day,also new years eve and day,(coldest eve left house at 6 degrees went home at 2 am new years day minus 11,chilly ride home but still warmer than a snowmobile) try to stay off the roads when snowing because of the idiots that don't know how to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Yes. In Minnesota, we really only have two seasons; winter and road construction. So, it's nice to take the T out once in a while when there are no traffic ones to dodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Not to side track the thread (much) but since only yesterday I posted about driving my Touring to Iola to visit Chet Krause I learned this morning he passed away last night at the age of 92....... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 07:29 am:

I have used my '17 many times during the winter months, but like Bill Harper said "never when the road are white with salt".

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eP27eDtSs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Every Christmas Day, if we are at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:59 am:

In Portland Or. we use chemical deicer and gravel and that is mostly on the main roads and bridges. Majority of the neighborhood streets get nothing but ice and snow. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Some of you will remember this one.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/605488.html?1453714922

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Thanks for all of the great winter and snow pix!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Thanks for all of the great winter and snow pix!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:15 am:

This winter has been a real bear. _I've lost track of how many times it's snowed, but with all the shoveling, it got to pile up so high on both sides of the driveway, I could barely see enough to back my little Saturn out onto the street. _On the few occasions when I could actually see the bare pavement, my blacktop had a big bump in the middle from expanding ice beneath, with a spiderweb network of cracks reaching out to all four corners. _Well, that's what I get for using rock-salt. _The streets are even worse and this year it feels like the potholes are deep enough to rattle dental fillings. _And today, at the very end of March—which is supposed to go out like a lamb—we're accumulating more snow.

My faithful Tin Lizzie waits patiently in the garage for the spring thaw. _I love tinkering with the thing and it's a playful puppy of a car that just thrives on attention. _Sometimes it feels like, if I threw a ball, this horseless carriage would run and fetch it. _There are a few things that need to be done; install a new starter switch and do the pre-season grease-job and oil-change, but the garage has been just too finger-freezing, knuckle-busting cold to do any work in there. _Funny; my hula hoop-age memory of enjoying snowball fights and building snowmen and igloos in my folks' front yard is vivid as this morning's arthritis pain—and in the slightly more mature age of Disco and mood-rings, my frolic included skiing and snowmobiling—but those groovy days are as over as Sinatra's vocabulary.

As done just before going to bed, this morning I opened the interior door to the attached garage and sniffed for the odor of gasoline before snapping on the light. _Though I haven't flown an airplane in about a decade, I still have the pilot's thoroughly trained-in obsessive fear of fire and it's likely as not my Flivver's gas tank predates the first world war. _But the only noticeable vapor in there was my visible breath which, in a few minutes would crystallize on my mustache. _Good grief, I hate winter. _Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to roll open the big door at the other end and get some warm sunlight in here, but for today, only the Tin Lizzie's passenger-side door opens and the springs creak loudly as I climb up into the front seat—and now my ass is freezing cold against the crackling faux-leather as I slide over behind the wheel—and if I stuck my tongue out and touched it to the brass nut in its center, I might be here till the spring thaw.

At the risk of fusing my eyelashes together, I close my eyes and think back to a hazy-hot, late-summer morning; the very first time I drove this Tin Lizzie... (Okay, now take your brain and imagine the sound of a harp playing arpeggios and this scene dissolving into rippling waves as we do a flashback)...

Drove my first Model T for the first time, today. _It was delivered to my home yesterday and right off the trailer, had an almost empty tank, so there was no choice but to get some gas, though the nearest service station was a fair distance away and I've yet to master the Model T's non-standard controls.

I used to have two placards mounted on the instrument panel of my airplane. _One said, "If you're rushing, you're in danger." _The other said, "Don't do anything stupid." _Yeah, I figured this was the occasion to do everything by the proverbial book. _Now, two of the few things I've been told about Model T's are: 1.) Don't start the car inside a garage, especially a garage attached to a house and 2.) Have a fire extinguisher in the car. _With that in mind, I rolled the Model T out onto the driveway and shoved in the chocks.

I climbed aboard, double-checked the hand lever, spark and throttle and was now ready to discover I had forgotten the ignition key in the house. _Typical. _I fetched the key, hopped back in, selected "battery" and she fired right up at a bare jab with my heel at the starter button—just boom, and she was running. That was nice.

As I was sitting there, some guy driving down my street slowed down and yelled out his window, "Nice car!" _First compliment. _I'll probably remember that anonymous passerby the rest of my life.

The brake light switch had stuck in the 'on' position and I hadn't finished wiring up the turn signals yet, so I had no signals of any kind. _I was a little uneasy about making the first drive without so much as a brake light, but the car needed gas and that was that.

Well, with the engine purring, there was nothing to do but do it. _I stepped on the pedal, the low band groaned and we were off. _I took it real easy and pulled over frequently to let traffic go by. _With my practically non-existent experience and having heard so much about the brakes on these cars, I wasn't ready to try the upper end of the speed range, just yet.

Of course, I took tertiary backroads and so, managed to get lost in my own neighborhood. _GPS is a wonderful thing to have. _Good thing I had remembered to bring it along.

It was pretty hot out and sweat was dripping into my eye and traffic was accumulating behind me and low gear was too low and high gear was too fast and just keeping the car under control was surprisingly hard work and where the heck was neutral on the left pedal? _A rapidly approaching stop sign reminded me it would be better to keep my eyes on the road than on my foot. _I pulled over to let a bunch of cars go by. _Up to that point, I hadn't gotten the single finger salute, but nobody was giving me the upturned thumb or even smiling as they passed, either. _Wow, that engine gets hot! _I didn't see any steam, so I guessed we were okay. _Made a mental note to get a motometer.

Well, I made it to the gas station and of course, pulled up to the wrong side of the pumps and the door doesn't open on that side. _After working out the geometry in my head, I steered the requisite figure-8's and that was probably kind of entertaining to the other motorists on the apron. _A brass Model T looks incongruous just sitting there, so the fat, bearded guy turning tight circles in the bucking antique car must have looked just hysterical. _The gas station attendants were very curious and direct. _"What did you pay for that?" _They were surprised the car took regular gas.

Barely touching the starter button got the engine running, again (Thank you, Lord). _On the way home, my shifting was still lousy, with a lot of shudders and chattering. _After a while, I learned how to get high gear engaged with a just a single 'clack.'

Suddenly, I got a big breath of real hot air through the floorboards and the whole car was shuddering. _Was I overheating? _Better pull over. _Engine quits. _Oh no, NOW what did I do? _Did I ruin the engine? _Okay, don't rush, don't do anything stupid. _Left to right cockpit check, just like in an airplane. _Hand-brake, spark, throttle, ignition. _Jab the starter. _Just like that, she's running again. _Guess we're okay (Thanks again, Lord). _Maybe I just got too slow in high gear and it stalled? _Man, this sure ain't easy.

When I got home I took an extra circle around my block and let the neighbors have a few squawks of the Klaxon. _Got some waves and smiles. _That felt good. _Still, it's gonna take a heck of a lot of practice before I'm really comfortable driving a Model T.

I let the car sit and cool in the driveway before putting her in the garage and got a folding chair, a squeeze bottle of Brasso and a handful of dish towels—my will kill me if she finds out. _Turns out it's not real smart to hand-polish a brass radiator immediately after driving the car. _Heck with that—I got the Model T there and back in one piece, got a tankful of gas and now I can just take baby steps in my own neighborhood until I'm comfortable. _From here on, it only gets easier.

Well, my eyes didn't freeze shut, but the cold is seeping into my bones. _Guess I'll step out of the time machine, head upstairs, push the button on the Keurig and sip at my mug while futzing around on Facebook and The Forum—I've got family and friends to bore the heck out of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:21 am:

Teaching my grandsons how to drive a model T, Christmas 2010

Happy motoring,

Warren

Christmas 2010

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Hummm ? Winter? What is that? Do you need to have snow flying or does the mercury just have to get low enough to freeze a Witches )i(s? I have driven my T in temps below 32F but never in the white stuff (that is unless you count the sand on the beach) The better half has informed that I may now buy side curtains :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

@ Royce in Dallas..
What a fantastic videe. Thanks a lot.
I cant imagine at dusk with Christmas lights on and you driving by.

Best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Thank You all for those fine pics/videes and education.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:11 am:

@Chris Bamford....I am in North Edmonton.
Perhaps if you'd like we could connect and talk cars.

Regards,
Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:13 am:

After my vehicle is sorted, I wish to drive it at times through the winter months. Life's to short.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration