Title " WAMMY"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Title " WAMMY"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 24, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

I think I have my title problem resolved for my T. Today my wife went to BMV to get plates for my 41 Chevy coupe, which we have a title in our name since 1994. Haven't driven it since 2004. I got it cleaned up and ready for the road. The BMV said there was another 41 coupe with the same vin registered last year. They want me to send in paper work for a new vin. I had vin check done by local police today and will take the title and ins card and vin check to see if I can explain to them that it is their mistake !!! Wish me luck like my wife said
Pretty bad when you hold valid title for 22 years and I can't plate my vehicle. Beware of government !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 08:22 am:

The person who registered last year should have to get a new vin.
But that aint the way it works it seems.
I know of a 14 T that the original motor was pulled from 30+ years ago and a 15 engine installed. Car sold with 14 title.
15 engine was bought at auction a few years ago. Car built and titled with it. the guy with the 14 car, had to re-title it as a 15.

Screwy to say the least

Apparently at some point a chassis or a engine was found from your 41 and it got used to build a car.Or the original old title was found in a estate and used. You can ask the dmv to inspect that other car to confirm 1 way or another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:03 am:

On your '41 Chevy make sure that they are using the Vehicle Identification Number which is on a plate on the floor before the right front seat. Should start with AH or AG. The tag on the firewall will give a Fisher body number and a job number (along with paint and trim codes). The body number indicates which one off the line of that particular body style. The job number will tell you what the body style is. A business coupe and a 5 passenger coupe, for example, could have the same body number, but different job numbers. The title in most states would just list it as a coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:45 am:

I've wondered about this sort of thing for awhile now, as it pertains to our Model T's. If I pull the engine out of my car to rebuild it and put a different engine in so I can drive it, does that mean my plates are no longer valid for the car? I mean, the only way this could cause a real stir would be if I was pulled over with the replacement engine in and the cop wanted to check the VIN, but the way our government operates I guess it's not that much of a stretch to think it could happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:59 am:

That's why all of my Ts have their engine/title number stamped in the frame. I would bet that 99% of licensing clerks do not know when Ford started doing this in the factory, so it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:32 am:

David, I think you have a good idea there - I have some number stamps, I think I'll stamp the VIN that's on my title onto the frame of my 1924 cut-off touring just in case the engine gets switched some time in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:49 am:

The BMV issued me a valid title they should honor that and issue a plate . I've been told they have no choice
One hand obviously don't know what the other is doing
When it is straightened out I will stamp frame on 41 and T
Just thought everyone should know about this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Dallas,
The '41 is probably stamped already, but you have to have "the book" to know where. Who has "the book" good questions--ask other folks who are really into 41s. I had a '46, but I don't remember were the frame was stamped. My '46 VIN plate was on the passenger door opening front side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

You are probably a victim of computerization. My guess is when you originally titled your vehicle all the info was stored someplace on a 3x5 index card, hand written. Now everything computerized and we're at the mercy of the hired help who keyed all the old data, if they even bothered to at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

David, I had a 1935 Chevy many years ago. The only VIN was a small sheet metal plate about 1" x 2 1/2" that was screwed to the floor in front of the passenger seat with 2 clutch head sheet metal screws. There was nothing on the plate other than the stamped number. My Motor's manual says that the '41 is there too. I never found a number stamped on the frame.
The Fisher body data plate was riveted to the firewall and looks much more "official". I don't think that they worried about ID numbers much then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Dan,
My '46s plate was held on with small phillips head screws, and I remember the DMV checker looking at and muttering, "Correct for the year."
The frame numbers is something I was told by a Highway Patrol Officer,and their location is not general knowledge--HOWEVER; this may only be true for more recent cars! That's why I suggested contacting a Ch**y club to see if they have any info that might help you out. I think there was a body data plate on the firewall under the hood on my '46 too--I'm trying to remember stuff from 1977- 1983! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 06:47 am:

On a 1973 chevy pickup it is stamped on the chassis near the steering box.
Don't know if that helps but

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

I was told by a State Police inspector that Chevys used the engine number up until '52 or '53. A lot of titles for Chevy street rods don't match the car and the owners don't know it. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Mine was a str~#t rod when I got it so floors and engine are newer
The tag under hood is only original tag left that's why it was used but still after 22 years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Don, your posting reminds me of why I had the VIN tag inspected; the car was titled by the engine number, but the engine had a major water freeze crack in it, so I replaced it. Had to change to the VIN number because state of CA didn't want to use engine numbers even back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:47 am:

My '27 does have the VIN stamped on the frame, and the engine number matches it. The frame stamping appears to be original. Is this normal? I know that it sounds like a stupid question, but I was of the impression that Ford didn't necessarily match these numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:50 am:

John, yes, that's correct. The engine number was stamped on the frame when the engine was installed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration