Temps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Temps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Earlier I mentioned my plan to measure temps of various engine components using an infrared sensor. I just got my first Model T and hope the cooling system is circulating properly. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

After one mile including mild hills:
89' ambient temp
136' radiator temp
168' front of head
189' rear of head
312' exhaust manifold
99' carb

Motometer was about 1/3, which is below "Summer Average" labeled circular window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 02:41 am:

Looks OK to me. If you check radiator top and radiator bottom you should see a considerable disparity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 06:56 am:

If you can grab the pipe running between the bottom of the radiator and the engine block, your radiator is cooling properly. If it's too hot to hold, you're not cooling properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 08:26 am:

Chris,

Does your car boil? If not, you're fine.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Aren't those head temperatures a bit cool for proper combustion in the cylinders? I thought water temps. In the head right below boiling were more appropriate. Someone fill me in here! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:25 am:

An infrared sensor is a tool all T owners should have. The laser part of mine can be pointed at a small part of a T or any other car with accurate temperature readings fast. I also use mine checking drafts on my home and shop that otherwise you are guessing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Michael, there can be a couple ways to take a look at engine efficiency. I've always heard the engine will "run" better with the temp at the top of the safe running zone. And that would be just below boiling.

The only concern is that the engine temp will often rise a little after its shutdown. Now keep in mind this is what I've read and are possibly nothing more than the opinions of others.

I like to run my engines as cool as I can get them. I feel I'm going to cause less wear and tear on the engine and as long as I have the power I need and it's running smooth it's fine for me.

And in the final analysis you'll have to find someone with a greater engineering background than I'll ever have. I just go by what seems sensible to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Thank You you all. I guess it is circulating and I will continue to monitor temps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:28 am:

On the Montana 500 car I ran 190-200 water temp and about 1260 F for exhaust temp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Gene, I'm curious, where exactly did you obtain the reading for the exhaust temp? That sounds really hot. Is that considered normal? I picture the manifold glowing, at least dull red? Anybody else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:24 am:

BTT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:52 am:

Did you ever run your T a night with the floor boards removed? My exhaust manifold always glowed at least a dim red. The more retarded your spark, or the faster I drove the brighter red the manifold would get. I lived in the country way back when and I often (usually) drove with spark and throttle levers as close together in the down position that I could get them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Thanks, Hal, I have driven 3 other folks T's so far.
Mine still has a ways to go before it's running. For what you describe, that might explain the so called 'droop' of exhaust manifolds I've seen mentioned? As I have read suggestions on how to straighten such, It did make me wonder how they became 'drooped' in the first place. Agreed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Gene, You are as hot as you want to go. On the drag boats and funny cars we like that temp for max power. At 1275-85 the pistons want to melt. Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration