New carb & fuel cutoff installed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New carb & fuel cutoff installed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Here's a picture of the $145 eBay rebuilt NH carb I installed this week. I also added a fuel cut off valve and filter. In order to avoid cutting the hard fuel line I added a loop of rubber fuel hose and hope it was a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

NH

I hope I still have room to safely add an air filter without it binding on anything, etc. Also, that exhaust seems very close and I wonder if an element might catch fire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Sorry but that filter is going to cause you problems. Too much restriction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

I agree with Tim. You can try it with the filter, but on a gravity feed system like the Model T, filters often cause problems. Just do a Google search on:

fuel filter MTFCA

and you'll see a bunch of earlier threads talking about problems with filters.

You were smart to avoid cutting the fuel line to hook up your filter, if you decide to ditch the filter you can still use your line.

That line looks like copper tubing. I have not experienced it, but others have had copper tubes fatigue and break. If you want to replace the copper tube with one from the vendors, here is a link:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2909.aspx

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Thank You

That might explain the fuel starvation climbing hills. Or is it flooding? Unsure so far but going to fill the tank for max fuel pressure and try again after this wedding limo gig tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Chris - I would be willing bet that the inline fuel filter is causing your "fuel starvation" problems. A couple things tell me that. On a hill, the very weak fuel line pressure from just gravity is even weaker when going uphill. Same thing happens even on the level as gasoline level in tank goes down lower in tank as fuel is consumed. Put together uphill and partial tank of fuel,......fuel starvation with that filter for sure!

Mark Strange - Just my own personal opinion, but I think the copper fuel line is okay if you make a cut in copper tubing near the fuel tank (potato) and another cut near the carburetor. Then reconnect copper line at each end with a few inches of proper modern gasoline approved fuel hose an hose clamps. The "flex" of the hose at each end isolates the copper fuel line from possible vibration fatigue. Again,...."IMHO".....FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Some old race cars had handpumps to pressurize fuel tank. Has anybody made such an aftermarket hand pump for the model T fuel tank? It seems like it could be integrated into the gas cap safely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

My 26 had a filter and replaced it with a new line and changed out the old tank that had rust. The filter did seem to make the car run sluggish. It does fine now. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration