OT - Model S tourabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Model S tourabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

I believe the negative was flipped, and it looks like a 1908 Model S with a second factory seat instead of single rumble. I like the step on the fender, and have thought of doing something similar with our Model K:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Great photo! Thanks Rob!
It does definitely look like the "Ford" script on the radiator is flipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Flipped and slightly cropped:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Thanks Mark. Wayne, as always, my pleasure....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Wow, that is a nice car, even without all the "accessories" like headlights. I guess the side lamps will have to do!

At this point, how "close" are we to a T? It's starting to definitely look like a T-ish thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Andy,
The S roadster was built primarily during the summer of 1908. Ford was gearing for the Model T, so the S roadster is the last of the N chassis cars designed prior to the T. Ford also produced over 100 mostly S roadsters in one day during the summer of 1908, probably setting a world record for cars built in one day.

Design wise the T had many new features such as the removable head and combined transmission and engine block that were new for Ford. The Huff designed magneto was the second Ford magneto (model K) but the first built into the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Without getting OT -- and admittedly short on NRS knowledge here -- were N,R,S drivetrains more or less the same until the end, or was there progression such that the S is the nearest we get to a '09 two lever, open valve / water pump T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

What a great car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Andy,
Virtually no differences between models. R and S Roadsters had 30 in tires, vs 28 for N and S runabouts. R and S had a mechanical oiler vs an exhaust pressure oiler on the N. A few minor changes occurred between 1906 and 07 such as straight radius rods on the later cars. Chassis were all essentially the same.

NRS are easy to drive, simple and have a T feel to them with the two speed transmission and same gear reduction steering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

A few other subtle changes ,the 06 N frame only had holes for the steps no running board bracket holes. the 06 had round step plates the others were square , the 06 rear axle housing casting were different to take the bent at the end radius rods . The drive shaft tubing in 06 look more like the 10 and up T's, 07 08 look like the 09 T. At lest that's what I remember . But you know what Mark Twain said ( When I was young I could remember any thing whether it happened are not.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration