Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Popadak on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

And I can't stand snow. Boy was I born in the wrong state. What can you guys tell me about the latest junk to follow me home. I'm presuming it's snowmobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Ben, congratulations on the buy, I was looking at those pictures on auction zip all week. I'd say you have the makings of a snowmobile, but much of it seems pretty homemade with snowmobile parts mixed in. Certainly the tracks are snowmobile, the wheels too; these are not the early style tracks but still T appropriate. Likely the Bogie axle is snowmobile as well, the partial tension rod attached looks correct. I am sure the true snowmobile people will chime in with better information than me, I am new to this too, hopefully I will have something together for snow this year (I am looking for a bogie axle and some misc bits and pieces, wish I could have been there)
The subframe arrangement is something I have not seen, generally the TT rear is mounted in either the stock position or with a cantilever arrangement. The bogie axles were mounted to the frame via a buggy seat style spring arrangement where the springs are mounted to form an ellipse or the later style used coil springs. The auxiliary transmission is a nice bonus it will be necessary to help with gearing, tracks and snow really eat up power. In a true snowmobile application for a T there were either 60 or 64 tread sections depending on the wheels used.
I did not see skis in either the auction zip pictures or your pictures does that mean there was all this snowmobile stuff and no skis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

That wheelbase is so short I'm thinking it's a tractor setup, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Popadak on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Well there were no front skis to be found. The arrangement does look a little odd. Don't believe it's a tractor, what with the track and hard rubber wheels. that match up with the track. Not even sure what the transmission is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Hard rubber wheels were not uncommon, I have several sets in varying condition two of my TT doodlebugs are running them in the front. TT's often had them, they were more reliable/could handle more weight than pneumatic for heavy loads. As above I agree the arrangement is odd it seems over complicated to me it would be good if there were some hints as to what it was mounted to. Various tires to match the track were manufactured and sold, below is an ad posted by Terry Harper for pneumatic Snow Bird tires:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

The transmission looks like a dual high unit from a 1928-29 Model AA.

dual high

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 01:50 am:

Another image of the dual high.

dual high -2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 01:52 am:

Congratulations! I wish I lived close enough to bid against you.
That is a clever setup, The heavier rated TT's had the parallel leaf springs.
This rig looks like it directly replaced the rear axle without needing to mount bogie axle springs or adjusters to the frame and still be sprung as independent, all in one sweet package.
I love the use of the Model T front motor mounts to attach the bogie to the unit.

p.s. it could have been built for mud, sand or compost use not needing skis.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration