Black or White?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Black or White?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

I bought a '13 Touring about 12 months ago and I have been trying to get it operational. In the last two weeks, I blew two tires. In removing the tires and tubes, there were chalk notes that indicate that the tubes were repaired in about 1960. Since that seems a bit old, so I am thinking about replacing all four tires, since they are probably 30 years older than that. When I first started reading the Forum, it seemed that modern white tires quickly darkened, and were a waste of money. Is that still the case? Instead of going with authentic white tires, should I just forget the hassle, and go with black tires. I am hoping that the interchange on the Forum over the past couple of years persuaded manufacturers to fix their whitening problem.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

I guess it depends if you want to be completely authentic or not. And if you read the forum for a while you'll see that some are purists and some are not completely on that side. If you want to show your car maybe white tires is the way to go.
If not and you want to have a nice looking T for parades and go on tours put black on it.

The average person wouldn't know the difference.
And besides it wont make your 13 run any better.
Its your car to do with what you want to with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Thanks John. I am 50/50. It is not a show car, but since white tires were what was used in 1913, should I use them? If the tires that are available today, as white, will stay white... then I am happy. If not, that means my wife will have a lot of cleaning to do in the future...
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

When I had my 1913 I put Firestone whites with straight tread on it. I found that then (about 20 years ago. The whites cost about double the blacks. Then I soon found out that they wear out in about 1/2 the time ( miles ) than the blacks do.

So my decision is based on: is it worth it to me to pay four times the cost for the white tires over the black ones? I don't ever do shows, I drive. The other advantage whites have is they were easier for me to change... meaning the blacks stayed on tighter.

So since I have the T Ford to please me I run black tires. Now when I get my nice Omnibus body restored and put it onto a brass running gear I will probably put white tires on because they make me smile (whenever I am not looking at the check stubs).

So for me that is the definite answer!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Besides, the termite droppings show up faster on the white tires!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Michael..in short, yes they're a waste of money. Unless of course you're intent on making the car as "pure" as possible even to the point of having it "point judged". I just put a full set on my '12 and I can say I am not very happy with them. Put them on in April and already they look about as dinghy (sp?) as the ones I took off that were rotting off the rim. But "Pete" looks good with however off white they are/were so I kept with the program. Will I put them on my dark blue '13 that is pretty much otherwise as correct as they come? Hell no! Frankly, even when I set up the "whites" next to each black tire on the '13 I felt it really didn't compliment the car that much for the extra expense. JMHO. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 10:11 am:

It's your car and it sounds the people the know like Tim W, Say it's not worth it for a driver. I normally go with the people who have all the experiences and opinions on here. Just my thoughts! Tim in Georgia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Depends on whether this will be a show car or a driver. Black tires wear longer.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:29 am:

There's been no improvement with the quality of white tires. Don't waste your money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

For those not "on the inside" my posting about the termites was a dig at Terry; the body he is restoring was termite infested--amazing it was still in one piece!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration