I go to Erik Barrett for T work

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I go to Erik Barrett for T work
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

When asked for recomendations for model T work I always send folks to Erik Barrett in Auburn, CA.

I find he is very knowledgeable and extremely honest. He always stands behind his work, which isn't that hard because it is always done right.

Well today I drove down to Erik's to drop off my set of rods as cores for a new set. The new rods not only have new babbit but they are balanced and straightened (aligned). Just what I wanted.

Erik looked at the cores and said those were rods he had babbitted. That is true, he did them over 8 years ago and MANY thousands of miles ago. One rod had lost it's babbit and two others had tiny cracks starting. Erik said "I am doing them differently now, these new ones have their babbit spun cast onto them". He then said that when he had first started doing rods they weren't as good as how he does them now.

Erik refused payment for the new rods and gave them to me in exchange on "warantee". How many shops can you think of who will stand behind their work after more than 8 years of hard use and not even ask any questions about what happened? Of course he had seen me putting a lot of those miles on the T, maybe he didn't want to suffer through hearing the abuse I heap onto my T's.

Anyway I just want to say that we are fortunate that we have so many great vendors in this hobby we should all be thankful... and if you are looking for a T mechanic, you can't do better than Erik!

Terry Horlick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Yep, Erik is a real "stand-up" guy, and he does more than Model Ts. When the local museum support group wanted to resurrect the 1922 Buick Touring car that belonged to the original owners of the house museum, Erik stepped in and went way above and beyond the call, finding radiator parts and differential pieces three states away. That, and rebuilding the rusted and broken engine parts.
He does all this as a "second job" too! Wish I had his stamina! I don't think you can find better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

Terry, did Erik give you the fender bracket? I left it with him at the auburn swap meet. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Erik "rumble seat garage" is just tops Erik as well as his buddy Robert are tops.
I been working on T's since the early 80's, and when I get stuck or need advice or a part erik usually has an answer.
I know there's others in the hobby but I pat erik on the back and proud call him a friend and fellow rusty nut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:23 am:

He gets the jobs done promptly too.
And he will do little things that some couldn't be bothered with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

. Thanks for the kind words guys. Still have that bracket for Terry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Erik, I just may drive those new rods over to your shop in Rusty and get the brackets sometime soon.

Today I did the shim trimming, tomorrow I will start fitting and make a balance to double check my pistons.

Thanks again, I forgot to mention your assistant Roger Barrett. I always enjoy chatting with him and he has been very helpful ... especially those coils he set for me a couple years ago. The are every bit as nice as the ones I had Ron do.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 07:30 am:

Terry,

Always good to hear nice things about vendors.

Thanks for posting.

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration