Ground Terminal on Ign switch.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ground Terminal on Ign switch.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

I notice it isn't on some switches nor on any of the diagrams I've looked at but there is one on the switch I'm refurbishing. Any particular use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Ignore it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:22 am:

I used it one time when I rewired the car. I went through 4 fuses before I found out that the ground was causing a direct short. I think it is like a lawn mower wire that shorts out the ignition to stop the motor. Do not use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Thanks. I didn't use it. Just wondering why it was there to begin with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

The April 1 1920 Service Bulletin notes the 'Grd' terminal is used when testing the switch, with all harness removed from the switch. 110v test lamp is put to the ground to see if there is a ground issue with the three positions of the ignition ( Bat, Off, Mag ) of the switch.

Not every mfg. did that Grd terminal on the switch so some don't even have it.

Normally never used to ground the switch to the chassis, as the metal dash panel the switch is mounted to does that if needed, but grounding the switch plate isn't nescessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Hmm, if you have an aftermarket wood body with the little metal "dash plate" that holds the switch and ammeter, maybe that's when it would be used, as the plate is usually fastened to a piece of wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

er saw one with a grnd. terminal. Even with a wood mounting would a grnd. be necessary on the ign. switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

The switch is isolated, only passes voltage from one side, when contacts mate, no ground needed. Lots of depot hacks made with wood panel that mounts the switch plate isolated, no ground path needed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration