I am not able to have the starter turn . Only click> WTH?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I am not able to have the starter turn . Only click> WTH?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Hello.
After my problems and taking your advice I was able to start the car yesterday. Thanks.
Today I started the car a few times and all was nominal.
The car then stall due to low RPM.
I went to start it again and all I can get is a click from the Starter.
Please help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Also, yesterday the only way I could start the car was moving the wire on the positive post and holding it there while it started.
The privious owner has a shut off on the post which is giving me problems BUT today after the starter failure I manipulated the wire to the positive post and as I've said, the starter only clicks.
Uggh!!
I would appreciate any thoughts.
Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

Start with the easy stuff. 1 Be sure the battery is charged. 2 Check to be sure all connections are tight. The clicking starter is a classic symptom of a poor ground.

If neither of those things is the problem, we can move on to something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

A click can mean a few things, Is your battery strong enough to fully engage the starter ring gear and turn the motor over, or is the starter not properly aligned with the ring gear? I would first check to see if your battery is up to par. There have been occasions were a weak battery has caused lots of indirect diagnoses and headaches. If i were you i would check there first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Lost my message somehow?
Anyway , the battery is new and the charger is on it. I will try tomorrow.
I am no stranger to cars and have worked on all of mine.
From Audi Ur Quattro to Lotus Esprit Turbo.
This one just confuses me.
Strange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:18 am:

How was your message lost?..Just people trying to help you out. Forgive us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:42 am:

I will only forgive Gates!
I'm horrible on the computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:11 am:

You'd better get some help with the key board Mike because these guy's are guessing at nothing. You said you have a loose cable. Did you fix it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Can you hand crank the engine over? The starter drive may be stuck on the flywheel gear. If so, rock the car back and forth to get it loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

I bet you have a solenoid and that is what's clicking. Either your battery charge is low, your battery is bad, or your solenoid is bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Was thinking the same thing Ted but without some more info it's just a guess.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration