Can I put a direct 6 volts to the starter without any damage?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Can I put a direct 6 volts to the starter without any damage?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:53 am:

AS above. ThankYou for any replies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:56 am:

That is the voltage it was made for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:57 am:

If I put the battery charger on it ....then it will be ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:00 am:

That is, the charger will give the starter direct current.
I do not wish to go through the Battery this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:04 am:

A charger will not provide enough amps to turn starter unless it's out of the car sitting on your workbench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:05 am:

Mike you've got two posts going now with the absolute minimum amount of info in them which makes any educated guessing impossible. 6 volt starter takes 6 volts. Hate to assume but I figure it's not cranking. Please give some solid info so we can offer decent advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Mike, most battery chargers don't put out enough amps to crank over the starter motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:27 am:

Some models of battery chargers do have an engine start mode I have one. It will put out 100 amps. It has a 6 volt and 12 volt starting mode.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Are you having trouble starting you T? If it is it could be the trouble is in your starter, or wiring. Maybe its not well grounded, weak battery.

Your T will start and run well on 6 volts if everything is in working order.

If your trying to 'jump start it' something in the starting circuit isn't right.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration