Gas headlamp burner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gas headlamp burner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 09:13 am:

What is the difference between the sizes for the gas headlamp burners. I currently have 1/2 FT on my '14, but they are rather beat up and the flame never gets very big or bright regardless of how far I open the water valve. One side eventually burns O.K., but the right side never gets the same fish tail flame. I've tried to clean out all the little holes but nothing seems to help. Would 3/4 FT give a bigger flame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Sometimes they get clogged with carbon and then you have to clean them with a piece of safety wire. I think either size should give a bright flame, the 1/2 size would be for smaller motorcycle single headlamp use while 3/4 is for pairs in automobiles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

I run 3/4's and that is what was suggested back in the day, 37 cp with a 6-inch mirror. The burners you will see used with the Model T size headlamp are 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 cubic foot per hour.

I have gotten used burners that were run with a carbide generator that were partially clogged with the lime residue. I have done what Royce suggests with a very small copper wire to clear them. Sometimes I can't get the lime out of the lava tip and it is much easier to find another good one.

If someone knows what will dissolve the lime, please let us know. The gas hole takes a 90 degree turn and a wire won't get it even if you have the tip off.

The residue from the carbide generators is one of the reasons for the mirrors being broken. If the rear burner hole clogs, the gas jet from the front hole will hit the mirror with a stream of heat and there goes your mangin mirror. Another reason to use a Prest-O-Lite tank.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Ken
There is a product available here called CLR the L standing for Lime. Meaning it dissolves lime

I'm sure I have seen it when in the USA.

CLR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Peter,

That would probably get it. Maybe vinegar too. I have an Alco Deluxe I will try it on. Those have the nice shape to them. There is something in it that keeps the jet of gas from meeting correctly.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration