Foam Filled Tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Foam Filled Tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:14 am:

About 20 years ago I ran foam filled tires for several thousand miles. They worked out very well. I recently bought a 30x3 non-mountable wheel with a very old Goodyear tire on it. When I went to remove the tire with a Sawsall I found it was foam filled. Has anyone seen one of these before? The foam is a two piece affair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:41 am:

There were several makes of foam rubber tire fillers made during the teens and early twenties.

Some found them good, but most found the foam broke down over use. Plus the fillers cost more than tubes, weren't sold by the tire mfg. either, so the foam filler companies were on their own to develop the market, the big tire companies with tubes kind of ran that market away from the foam fillers. And war tax on the high price foam fillers kind of killed the use, as they were high priced then.

Nice wall hanger part you have there now, suspect that full circle one is an Essenkay brand.

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on June 26, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

These are still manufactured and cost more than the tire. Research Pirelli Mousse for one example

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Wow, never seen them here. How was the tire mounted with "full pressure" already in the tire? With some difficulty, perhaps? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Does anyone remember the Goodyear life guard tubes? They were a tube within a tube with a check valve between the tubes. They were to enable you to get home if your tire was punctured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

My wife's family sold Tire Stuffers in Texas during and just after WW1. She has the ad someplace in her treasures and I will see if I can find it. They had different lengths and different diameters for every size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Foam tires are a good idea. One of my brothers and I both ran foam filled tires for a few years. We had them filled at a place that did industrial tires for landfill equipment and such. I would still use them but the price got unreasonable. Some say it can't be done due to the added weight but we had no problems in that area. We did have to do a good deal of balancing however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

The tires on aircraft in air museums are foam filled. I wonder how they would hold up when used on the road though as Dan said above.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration