Did I ever tell you why I love auctions?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Did I ever tell you why I love auctions?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

I do, I do. Yesterday I bought a pair of Hasslers for $15 and a Muncie transmission for $30. But I think the deal of the day was a shelf full of stuff that included a couple of Tiger timers, a New Day, a few other odds and ends, and a generator I figured I could rebuild, all for $4. This morning I installed the generator on my touring to try it out, and it charges just fine. The cutout is toast, and I'll replace it with a FP voltage regulator. Another shelf contained a set of 23-25 hood shelves, a set of floor board hardware, and two sets of engine pans, all for $2. One nice rear wheel hub was $1, and a box containing a few front hubs and a pair of rear brake drums, and a few other odds & ends, was $2. A pre-26 steering column was $2. If this sale had been closer to home I would have taken the gas hog Suburban and brought home some bigger stuff. I do love auctions. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Steve where was it at?
Any pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Pictures or it didn't happen!

;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

Hollister, MO. South side of Branson.

Nobody bought the tire, so the auctioneers threw it on my pile.

One of the jillions of aftermarket Model T accessories. To keep the fan belt on the crank pulley.

Pipe (2" x 14") with holes. Can anybody ID what it's for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

1/2 of Adjustable column

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Good Score, Steve !

One of the internal baffles for the T muffler ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

This is what you call being at the right place at the right time! Must not have been many T guys there.
It does happen every now and then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

I was thinking the same thing as the other Steve. Is it a muffler baffle?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

I think the Steves are on to something! :-)

https://www.modeltford.com/item/4025SE.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Muncie U-Joint worth more than he paid for the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

test

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Steve,I saw the sale bill,but it was a bit to far for me to go.Glad you found some useful items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

I was an Honored Guest at Steves place in 2012 and he is the kind of guy that could/would fall in to vat of something bad and come like new.
Am I correct Steve Jelf??? now admit to it!!!!! You know it is the truth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Steve, that tire looks like a mate to the one I have if its a 21". KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Steve, glad you got some deals. I was going to go. (just to dang hot) It was about 3 hours from my house. Also, after finding all the deals this year at Petitt Jean, before you got there, I would have felt bad buying everything at the auction ( well maybe just a little bit:-)). I tend to go in full steam ahead at auctions and buy at least enough to fill the car hauler flat bed and also the 20 foot trailer I take to all auctions. Were there any rare or somewhat rare items there. Please post some more pics if you have them. The pics on the auction site were somewhat poor. How much did the engines go for. I have been to auctions and have bought complete T engines for 10.00 each, many times. Im like you... "I love auctions" One of the auction deals that stands out in my memory was a auction here in Arkansas about 10-15 years ago. In the garage floor the auctioneer had lined up a row of 42 wood water bottle crates they had found in the loft of the garage. (crates were about 1X1X3 foot in size) The crates were full of NOS accessory model T items still in their original boxes. They had not even dug thru the crates to see what was in them. No two items were the same. They just lined them up in the floor. When the bidding started, they were selling choice of the crates. I was high bidder at 17.50 per crate. I started pulling out some of the crates I wanted, when it dawned on me the wood water bottle crates were worth more each than my bid. So I just told them to "count them" I took them all at 42 times my bid of 17.50. You would have thought I had killed someone with the moaning and groaning from the rest of the bidders. The rest of the bidders were hoping I would take one or two of them and then they would re-sell the rest for a cheaper bid. I had guys come up to me after the fact and offer 50.00 for a box of the stuff. I finally had to push them into a pile and cover them up with a tarp, so I could go outside to the rest of the auction... I also bought 11 model T engines in a pile in the barn for 100.00 for the whole pile. There was also a KRW engine stand with three adapters outside in a green brier thicket. I had to ask the auctioneer to sell it as they did not even know it was there. I started the bidding at 10.00 and there were no bids against me. The other bidders were just to darn lazy to crawl up into the thicket and look at it. I still have that engine stand to this day. :-) ... When at auctions I keep my eyes open, I dig thru everything and everywhere. I also try to be right up front and get to be on a personal serious bidder relationship with the auctioneer. Anyway, glad you had a good time ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Steve, wow. That's some awesome parts for a great deal. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Gee, Steve, you had to ask what the frigging pipe was after I drew all those mufflers??? If you even need to replace the inner baffle on your 15, now you've got one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

I'm curious. Do they list vintage or antique car stuff on the auction bill, or do you just show up and take your chances. I've only seem one auction around me in the last couple of years that listed old car stuff. I'm beginning to think i live in Model T "No Man's Land".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

There was only one Model T block, with head, about 1925 I believe. I don't recall what it went for, but it was well under $100. Despite the bargains, it wasn't a big collection of Model T stuff. There were a few guys who seemed to know the goods, and most of the stuff sold, but there didn't seem to be many who wanted the stuff badly enough to drive up the prices the way you see at some auctions.

It never occurred to me that the painted pipe would be an interior piece for a muffler. Why would it be painted?

Kevin, the antique car stuff is usually identified as such in the advertising, although sometimes it's misidentified because the guys selling it don't know what everything is. Sometimes there will be a little bit of Model T stuff that doesn't get advertised, for the same reason. At the one I attended this afternoon there were a few Model T wrenches, and they sold for more than they're worth because one guy saw the Ford logo and saw dollar signs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Funny Martin !!!

Hi-Heat or header paint maybe ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 07:55 am:

Man, NEVER see any thing like that around here. Even if I did I'm sure the prices would be extremely higher. At a non-car flea market a few years ago I came across 2 Ford coils. The guy told me he'd turned down $50.00 a piece for them! As I walked away I told him he missed a hell of a deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Steve, how do you find out about these auctions? I can't find anybody selling car parts around here. If they are, they don't advertise them and probably end up going to scrap. You must have a sixth sense for sniffing out auctions. Teach me your secret!

Looks like a pretty good haul. I bet there were other treasures there buried on other shelves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Yes, there was some other good stuff. But other bidders wanted it more than I did.

Believe it or not, I find a lot of the auctions I go to right here on the forum. This one was posted in the classifieds recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

What size is the knobby tire? Keith can use it if a 21, and I can use it if it's an 18.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

This thread makes me want to go to the USA for a year or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 07:15 am:

If you fellas want to find auctions in your area just google "Auctionzip.com" and enter your zip code and the mileage your willing to drive and it will show a calendar with a number of auctions on it. Just click on the date and all the auctions will appear within the mileage you select. I use it and have found several car auctions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration