Floating Rear Hubs and O Rings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Floating Rear Hubs and O Rings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I hope someone can guide me here. My car has a 26/27 rear end and floating hubs. I don't know who made them or from where. My ultimate goal is to learn what O Rings (or seals) to buy and where they go on the hub.

It seems that there were 2, one was flat the other round. there is a clear "trench" for one of them (which had the flat seal) but it isn't clear to me where the round one belongs.

At any rate I am hard pressed to decide the size of each and would love to go to the folks that made it to ask (if anyone can point me to them)

Thanks in advance

Ben

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Ben,I suspect that both O rings were once round. The flat one looks to be compressed when fitted. I would replace them with like rings. Additionally, when re-fitting them, I would use a liberal coat of a Loktite brand red flange sealant around the entire sleeve. This is a non hardening seal which will fill any irregularities and even render the O rings obsolete in some applications.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I think your "flat ring" was originally a O ring that was too large or too fat and was crushed when installed in the axle tube. I don't think the "O" O ring was ever in the axle tube so it was not crushed. It was captured between the axle tube and the bearing. I think standard cross section diameters for O rings are 0.103, 0.139, and 0.203 plus others of course. You want the O ring to grip the bottom of groove slightly and stick above the outer diameter by 20-30 thousands or so. It should not fill the width of the groove completely as you need somewhere for the excess rubber to go when installed. The assembly should go it with a little push on your part, but not more than several taps with a plastic hammer. When you pull it back out it should still look like an O ring. You might try the good looking O ring in the other groove and see how it fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Ben,
Allan & Ted are 100% correct. Is there any details etched on the wheel flange? Does this flange have the usual 6 holes drilled in it plus a few which are tapered? Knowing this may identify the manufacturer but that isn't necessary, just fit new bearings, oil seals and standard O Rings and away you go!
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:48 am:

They make orings and square rings. Square rings will seal for a longer time than orings and they fit in the same grooves. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Here is a photo of a floating hub ordered for Popeye. Came from Texas T&A. Might help answer the question about O-ring location.Floating Hub

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

I make floating bearing adaptions. None of mine have an O ring as a seal. The bore of the rear axle housing is roughly machined, giving a poor seal surface at the best of times. The o rings are an unnecessary complication. Instead, I machine the full length of the spiggot to a reasonably close fit and rely on the Loktite flange sealant to give a good seal. This has never given any problems.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Thanks much, I didn't know about the flange sealant. is it important clean and de-grease the tube before the sealant is applied?

Thanks again
Ben

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration