Motor meter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Motor meter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Dads in the hospital for 4 weeks now so we,re here catching up on the forum what size of motor meter should I use on the T, regular or junior ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Midget is the best original Boyce meter for size on the Ford. Junior would be OK. Std. is too big to be in proportion to the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Thanks Dan cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Johnson on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 05:10 am:

I am curious, how does a motor meter work? Is a thermometer or something else?

Best regards to all for hot summer driving!
Dick, near Atlanta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 05:34 am:

Dick: Yes, it's a thermometer, but the probe under the radiator cap doesn't go all the way down into the coolant, measuring the vapor above is enough to get a clue on how hot the engine runs :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 06:09 am:

On the topic of the Moto Meter, how do you get the bubble out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 06:19 am:

Brian, I have had good luck by dipping the end in boiling water then bumping it against the heel of my shoe, keep repeating this until the red goes back to the bottom. Usually do this when I'm sitting and watching TV. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:11 am:

From the literature of the time, with liquid cooled automobile engines, if the operating temperature is under - and remains under - 200 degrees Fahrenheit there should be no problem with engine seizing or lubricants failing.

Roger is correct in stating the bottom of the Motometer bulb does not go into the coolant. What it will sense is the 212 degrees Fahrenheit of the water vapour - the steam.

One could run their motor over 200 degrees F, only to have the water evaporate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Brian, I have read of two very old methods to move a bubble in a Motometer up to the top but don't know how well they work. Do at your own risk !!!!! One is to tie the Motometer securely to thin rope by the bottom end and then swing the meter round and round with the centrifugal force pushing the bubble to the top. The other method is to tape the meter to the jacked up rear tire on a Model T in the correct position and let the tire spin at idle for a minute or two which will move the bubble. These methods may sound pretty crazy to do but just might work.....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Here's original instructions on getting the red fluid to go to the bottom. But have found with separated fluid spinning the motometer mounted on a lathe worked best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Grube on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:46 am:

I've had luck putting it in a sock and swinging it around to drive the Mercury in the direction you wish. Don't swing it over your head cow boy style, it has a tendency to fall down on top of your head when you stop spinning it. Don't ask how I know....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

On subject i just bought a small box of T parts and in the bottom was a midget Moto and it worked and only needed the glass repaired and i ordered that friday morning. It matches the truck perfectly, old and not perfect looking... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Tim, where did you find he glass? I've seen a few in swap meets with busted glass and part of the reason I didn't buy them is because I didn't know where to buy replacements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:42 am:

This kit has the glass:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/JMG-BR.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Jared, they have it at Langs and on ebay for sure. I ordered from Langs Model T parts. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Jared,By the way i just ordered that lens kit with some other things this morning. So they have jr meter glass kit in stock. Part# jmg-br.. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration