Any problems with reproduction universal joints.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Any problems with reproduction universal joints.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Gentleman,I was wondering if there are any issues with the new reproduction universal joints. Naturally, I would like to find clean no-wear original that hasn't sat outside in the elements for decades, but if I can't I may have to go with a reproduction. Thoughts? comments?

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 02:12 am:

I had one a few years ago that gave me all sorts of drama's, the square end was over sized and stuffed my drive plate and trans bushing's, tried my luck and bought one a couple of months ago and it was fine, unless you are unlucky with an old stock one, you would be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 07:05 am:

Dave Huson from Colorado always seems to have good used or even NOS u joints. Try him

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:24 am:

I bought one years ago where the halves were not riveted together properly and you could see light through one of the seams. Sent it back and the second one was put together tighter and has worked fine for the last 15 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:49 am:

I have one in my car right now. Working fine .No issues. The only problem was like Frank stated. The square end was a wee bit oversized. Had to file it down a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:04 am:

I had a new u-joint for a man whose rear axle I was rebuilding and the square end was two big to fit in the driven plate. I will never consider using anything other than a good origional ford u-joint. Ask Dave Huson. He'll have what you need.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Wow, I typed two instead of too. I've committed one of my own pet peeves. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input. The search for an original begins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

If you can weld and have a metal lathe they are easy enough to rebuild. Oh and yes you have to be able to rivet too. Probably done 10 over the years.
The fact is the two piece "ring" is REALLY hard and almost never seems to wear. The "crosses" have centers in them, so after welding up are not hard to remachine to size

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

There lots of good u joints at every swap meet I go to. I have dozens of good used ones. I just don't see the need for the repos!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration