26 Tudor top Lid frame build questions w/photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26 Tudor top Lid frame build questions w/photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

I'm to the point on the restoration on my Car, that I need to get the lid frame built but need some help. I'm also a wood worker with super good wood working tools so I can pretty much handle most challenges involving wood. I was able to pull off most of the lid frame in tact except the ends of the top side rails where they attached to the corner pieces were destroyed. I have one corner pretty much in tact so I can use it for a pattern for the other side if needed. The top of the frame has a rabbitt along the inside of all 4 pieces to accept the grid work of lattice. The lattice of course, appeared to be a poor choice for the top support. I want to beef that up a bit.

The Bottom of the side and end rails also have rabbitt groves that match the contour of the top of the car rails. The right and left side wooden rails are curved along with the rabbits to match perfectly the top of the metal sides. I need to know if I should try to duplicate what I have and modify where necessary on the top side to accept a domed gridwork or start over and build an entirely new top Does anyone have a set of plans that I could get a hold of? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Rand

Top right side up Corner pieceCorner piece turned over on it's topLeft side turned over on it's topLeft side turned over on it's topLid W/Grid26 Tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

You have the ribs and slats turned 90 degrees in the picture. I built it from scratch using ash. It isn't hard to do...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Thanks Don. I have a bunch of white oak left over from trimming out the interior of our house. I'm going to use that wood.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration