Just removing one head bolt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Just removing one head bolt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

All I have been able to find is talk about removing all of the head bolts.

I would like to add a bracket to the top of the head. This would require of removing just one of the head bolts. Will I really mess things up by doing this? Do I need to torque it down a little more?
I am trying to avoid a warped head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

I don't think you will have a problem. Tighten it to the original torque if you know what it was, otherwise 50 ft/lb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Remove on a cold engine, don't torque more as now you will have less threads holding with a bracket under it, I replace the 2 bolts on the 26/27 coil box with a longer one when working on that year T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

I'm chicken, I'd only go 45 ft/lbs. If you get a longer bolt, try it in place without the bracket to see that it doesn't bottom out before it would tighten against the bracket You might even run a bottoming tap down the hole, if you can get a long enough tap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

I hope it won't mess it up, because I removed one head bolt to attach my new horn on my 1924 cut-off touring car (now a pickup). After I mounted the horn, I re-torqued the one bolt to 55 ft-lbs in a few steps (30, 45, then 55). While I had the torque wrench out, I checked all of the other bolts, they were fine. Seems to be holding fine with no harm done. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

You'll be fine.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Steve,

Absolutely no problem whatsoever. Just put it back & torque to 50 - 55 ft.-lbs. and you're done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:20 am:

45-50 ft-lbs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:39 am:

Never used a tension wrench on a T yet, no striped threads, broken bolts or leaks, just the way Henry did it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration