What year body?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What year body?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-/201612509224?nav=SEARCH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

-Steve-
This photo shows another titled as a '23 here in Wisconsin. I tried to buy it from him a few years ago and he wouldn't include the title or sell. Heard he later sold the body toward Fond du Lac area. Haven't seen it since. Hope this helps.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

I was just curious to know if this was a factory truck body or some conversion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

I can't help with the coupe body, but the chassis appears to be 24-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

The EBay header says "1923", then has "1926 coupe" right under that. To my understanding, 'factory' cabs weren't available until 1924. It looks to me that perhaps someone either installed a coupe body onto a truck frame, or took off the 'turtle' and cobbled together a rack. Hard to say without seeing the rear axle and if worm-drive or not. Not being 'at least 50 miles away from home', I can't call myself an 'expert'.... There are others more knowledgeable here than myself.
(BTW - Goin' for #14 League Championship - "GO-PACK-GO!")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

-Steve J.-
The last EBay pic shows 5 bolts on the frame, each side. Different than I recall. My Dad's TT is one-piece channel for each frame rail. Share your observations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

The 3rd from the last photo shows clearly it is a 1919-early 1923 suicide coupe body. Note how the 1924-25 high metal firewall (which I know was the same as the 1924-25 TT firewall and from memory (not as good as it once was is also the same as the 1926-27 TT firewall) sticks up higher than the 1919-early 1923 coupe cowl in that photo below:

"IF" the "L" shaped door handle is original to the coupe body -- it should be a later 1920s coupe body rather than and earlier ones that used a "T" handle and before that a "bail" style handle.

You can also see the TT running board supports -- close together.

From that same 3rd from the last photo you clearly see the 6 lug rear wheel.

You can also see the TT rear cross member and the TT rear spring attachment.

I'm 99.99% sure that someone created the Coupe bodied TT. And it may have a lengthened frame or modified for some reason.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

1918-1922 coupes had those suicide doors. Some also in early 1923. Those door handles were used the last few years on those coupes. However the wood pillars and pieces around the windows were covered with sheet steel panels during those last few years. The handles could have been replaced or the metal taken off. Definitely an earlier low cowl body on a high cowl chassis.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:43 am:

The frame has either been extended, perhaps to accommodate an auxiliary transmission, or it has been plated to strengthen it. I did the same when making my 1917 shooting brake, joining two frames but making it 1' longer to accommodate a modern Warford. I plated mine inside the rails.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:43 am:

My guess about the extended frame was the same as Allan's, to use an aux transmission without cutting the drive shaft. In the third picture from last, that may be what we see between the cut off splash shield and the battery box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Note the front hubs do NOT appear to be T and I suspect the rim is Chevy?

I believe the radiator is also a 1924-1927 high radiator. But I could be wrong on that since without measuring it is difficult for me to tell. I have cropped Marv's 1925 high radiator picture and lined them up the best as could. I would guess high radiator -- but my second guess is low radiator :-)

And yes, it has the earlier "No Lip" front fenders rather than the later 1924-1925 car and 1924-1927 TT fenders that had a lip that lined up with the radiator splash apron.

I don't have access to Bruce's book at the moment -- but from the on line encyclopedia he has:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1919.htm
1919 MODEL YEAR DATES: January 1919 to August 1919.
The Coupe was similar to the 1917-18 style but the window posts were no longer removable.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1920.htm
1920 MODEL YEAR DATES: August 1919 to August 1920.
No changes mentioned for the coupe

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1921.htm
1921 MODEL YEAR DATES: August 1920 to August 1921.
The Coupelet and Sedan continued with minor modifications.
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1922.htm
1922 MODEL YEAR DATES: August 1921 to September 1922.
the Coupe was modified to now have the latch-type window raisers. In addition, the previously exposed window and door sills were now covered with metal, as on the Sedan.

[Hap’s comment – from memory (that has been wrong before) – for the Centerdoor sedans there was a large range of overlap when the cars with the old style window straps and without the metal covers were produced along with the newer style that had the latch-type window raisers and the metal covers over the wood around the windows. “IF” I remembered that correctly and “IF” the coupes had a similar overlap, I would think the body with the old style window straps and without the metal covers on the windows may have continued into the 1922 model year.]

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1923.htm
1923 MODEL YEAR DATES: September 1922 to July 1923
The Coupelet and Sedan (Centerdoor) continued into 1923 with minor modifications that were introduced in 1922, but were both replaced with the new Coupe and Tudor Sedan in August 1923.

Note FordWood has the 1924 -25 high cowl coupe with the doors hinged at the front listed as 1923 cars. Ford would have listed them as 1924 cars even though some were assembled in calendar year 1923. See: http://www.fordwood.com/coupes.htm
Based on the above I believe it is definitely a Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time” special... [see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM for the song ]. For the body either the door handles or the metal pieces or both have most likely been changed out. But the basic body would be 1919-1923 suicide coupe body with minor variations based on the actual year.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

'So much education to learn.....'
Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration