OT - 'Roll-Over Jay Leno!"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - 'Roll-Over Jay Leno!"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Some of you may have already seen this, since it made national news in places. (He wasn't smiling...)
http://www.powernationtv.com/post/jay-leno-walks-away-from-terrifying-roll-over

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

they been advertising that rollover for weeks now on CNBC channel so they want you to check out his show which is aired this week

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

They were lucky that they were able to keep their arms in the car, that car should have had window nets. Hopefully Riggle will have window nets installed when the car gets rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

You can get into trouble when you take a machine built to go in a straight line and ask it to corner at speed. Might be time to hang up the helmet and gloves after that one. I expect the NHRA will have something to say. Glad they both are OK. What a ride that must have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

I remember being fascinated with Hemi Under Glass when they'd show it in the magazines. Also a little cab over truck called The Little Red Wagon driven by Bill Maverick Golden. It hurt to watch something as famous as Hemi Under Glass get crashed. I hope they're able to straighten it back out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

might have been a publicity stunt to.
I can't watch videos but i hope the car aint tore up to bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Mack it's actually a lot better looking than I thought it would be after rolling 3-4 times. I knew what was coming based on video title and description, but I was still left dumbstruck wondering what the driver was doing. I agree he may just be too old and need to hang up the keys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

That was definitely not a publicity stunt.

Jay - a true comedian - goes into joke mode while still strapped into his seat.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Near the end of the video, Riggle says "We'll have to put another body on it".... (Would think more than that - Just by seeing those 'wheelie braces'.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Fantastic! Thank You for posting this video!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

My wife's great uncle, Chad Smith, drove a wheel stander in Florida for years that had an Oldsmobile 455 in the back and a clear floorboard that he could steer through. It had an outer steering wheel which operated the individual rear brakes so he could slightly steer while the front end was up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

After watching the video a few times, I realized he was going too fast to stop and turned to keep from crashing into the wall. The rear end was hopping and he couldn't get traction to stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

Wow. Thanks for posting that video. It almost hurt watching that car crash. Jay Leno has the life. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Doug, you hit it right on the head. Erik got it right too, I find no fault with Riggle except for agreeing to what I'm sure was Leno's crew's idea to operate the Hemi on a surface completely foreign to the Hemi's normal use. Look at the clip and notice how many dips and different levels the Hemi runs over, no wonder it gets to bouncing!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Riggle rolled the car.

The guy has more hours behind the wheel than any second guessers.

At the end of the day - the driver is responsible for the operation of his vehicle.

Only his second car crash.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Jay Leno should just buy the car the way it is and put it in with his collection. With the video to go with while Jay was rolling in it, it is now a famous car in a new way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Why the hell did they put him on that track!? That car was intended only for a dragway. The producers are at fault here. There are plenty of dragways in California for this exibition, luckily those guys were not hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:01 am:

I have to wonder if just maybe it was staged, The way Leno was able to keep his arms close to his body is a bit unusual, I think that in a real unanticipated crash the a human body would not had time to react and his relaxed arms would had gone towards the G force. The actual crash only took a few seconds. I don't think Leno would of had time to react.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:23 am:

That was at least a $500,000 car, maybe even 7 figures on a good day. I doubt very much it was staged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:28 am:

The problem is that Hemi Under Glass is a straight-line car. If you watch the video, you can see that there is very little air pressure in the rear tires. Once Riggle ran out of track and had to turn the car, those 6 PSI tires folded under, and Leno and Riggle were just passengers. As Freighter Jim said, that was definitely not a publicity stunt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:17 am:

What is staged is the paramedic calmly questioning them after the crash. In reality, everybody in the crew probably ran up to the car in a panic. Once everybody was found to be ok, they refilmed the questioning/joke session. The crash was a real one, but things were staged for tv as an afterthought. Reality usually doesn't make good tv unless you embellish it a little. I bet Jay was in a world of pain later that night after that tumble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Is there something bogus with the video of the "new" Hemi-Under Glass?

The original car was designed to do wheelies by placing the motor in the middle of the chassis, off setting the centre of balance. A horsepower of maybe 500 and was able to lift the wheels off the ground -

Remember the Little Red Wagon pick-up? Engine in the pick up bed.

Why would you need 2500 hp to accomplish the same thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Why would they change the body? The old one only needs some panel beating. And if it has scars left over then all the better stories it has to tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

George, it is not only about doing the wheelstander, but how fast you can go doing it usually in the 1/8 or 1/4.

Kep, that body is toast. What would be really neat is to sell, raffle, auction off panels or parts of. That shell is just 21 gauge steel. Easily debatable but for the time and cost involved it is easier to hang a new body assuming the majority of the chassis is still square, which it probably is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

How fast you can go in an 1/8th or/1/4th mile? Doesn't help to be able to steer? Would that much power be better proven towing a drag sled? Not impress with 2500 horsepower engine under-glass.

Speaking of an impression - I wonder what changes will be made in Leno's public appearance contract and riding in fast cars. Bet his producers and insurance providers spent a long night on the latrine after the "accident.".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

One more comment - At what horsepower rating was this wheelie accomplished?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Zero
Ha

They lifted the front end at a standstill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

George, these guys made a living making paid exhibition runs at race tracks all over the country.

The more impressive their show was, the more money they could make... People were there watching real race cars all day, so if they were noticeably slower, they would be boring regardless of whether the front wheels were off the ground. They had to run very fast times, and when paired off against another wheelstander, the guy who did it better and faster would gain more fans and could charge more money for the next appearance.

The crowd is there to see "action" not just a car balancing on 2 wheels slowly down the track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

The wheelie T belonged to American Legion Post 235 in Maynard, MA. Post is still active. Picture looks like it was taken in the 50s, so the vehicle occupants are probably WWI vets. Interesting vehicle - Model A rear end, AA radiator shell jammed over the T. Wonder what eventually happened to it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Won't happen with my T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Alan, Do you mean you tried? Just kidding of course!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

I think it was just a matter of poor planning! Quite simply, it was absolutely the wrong venue for the whole thing. Riggle was forced to make too tight of a turn at too high of a speed, which if the proper location had been selected, he would never have even tried to make such a turn. John Codman just may have hit on what actually was the specific cause of the roll-over,....those big softly inflated rear tires just would not do what was needed, and the right rear tire probably just folded under and caught on a pavement irregularity of some kind, and it just dumped them over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

George, how do you possibly compare a Model T with high horse power? That buckin T is doing walking speed - not a quarter mile. You are comparing apples to ants.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

-George-
'Drag Racing' is a different mentality and approach from what we're used to. How fast? 'Maybe' 350 MPH.... How long? 'Maybe' 3.5 seconds, or less. The 'Wheelstanders' are mostly around as crowd-pleasers, but are probably still on just the rear wheels at 125 MPH. Like I say - "A different mentality, with some 'craziness' tossed in." I raced for the adrenaline rush as well as to feel the power. Subsequent years with aging allows us an appreciation for history, even if it's now just to 'turn a wrench or TWOO'... (that's either Cranky, or the TT!) Here are current NHRA record holders:
http://www.nhra.com/points/national-records.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Sorry about the NHRA link... You need to go to the 'draw-downs' along the top bar. Apologies.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Perhaps a video, if you've never gone.
https://www.youtube.com/c/nhra1951

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Same fate as the very first "Hemi under glass" and it was going in a straight line, (wonder what the back glass goes for, for a real one?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration