OT (somewhat) Inspect your shop and farm tools often !!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT (somewhat) Inspect your shop and farm tools often !!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

I have an "A frame" style framework with I-beam and trolley. I built it about 25 years ago. It has been a very useful item for all these years. But I never painted it (I like rust, and it has sat outside for all those years just sitting in the dirt. I noticed the other day that one of the legs looked pretty scale rusty around the bottom. So after a little chipping and cleaning I found that the bottom 2 to 4 inches of all the legs were "gone" or "almost gone". I have spent the last 2 days replacing the bottom of every leg and did a very good inspection of the frame. The upper parts were still OK and just needed some touch up on a few welds just for the heck of making them look better. This time I cut drain holes inside the pipes before welding them to the bottom channel, and the frame now sits on some pressure treated 2x6 boards to keep it out of the mud. I also "nailed" it to the ground thru the channel iron and 2x6 boards in 8 places, with 2 foot long "nails/spikes" made from one inch rebar with washers welded on for nail heads. I also cleaned up the bottom foot and brush painted the welds and pipes very well. I will spray paint the upper parts in a few days. The main point of this post is to maybe get everyone to do a good tool inspection around the farm/shop/home. Sometimes you just have something so long, you take it for granted it is still good to use.

Here is my repaired A-Frame ready for final paint

I forgot "before" photos but these pics show the rusted end of one of the "better" legs, and sitting next to the "repaired" leg for comparision

On a different subject, but sitting beside my A-frame is some pictures of a welding/shop/anvil/work table I built at the same time I built the A-frame about 25 years ago. It also is a very useful item. It is made from a semi truck "fifth wheel" plate welded to a pipe and semi truck wheel. I added the vise to sit below the top of the table. The "fifth wheel" plates are very heavy cast steel and all the different shape edges, corners, notches, and holes are very useful. The fifth wheel plates can be found around diesel truck repair shops for very little price. When they wear to a certain amount of wear they just replace them with new ones. So the old ones are scrap.

a

b

c

Have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Donnie
What's the truck frame you are working on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Les, It is an 86 Dodge 3/4 ton frame cut off and made into a trailer. I have a utility truck bed I am going to put on it for a tool trailer. I plan on adding a roof section made with horse trailer roof bows and sheet metal to make a enclosed trailer over the bed that I can stand up in. It will have 2 doors in the rear to access the inside of the trailer. The top of the driver side tool box will make room for a one foot wide X 8 foot long work bench. The passenger side will have storage bins and racks above the tool boxes. I am going to install an air compressor in the front right corner and my generator in the left rear corner near the door. Im also installing my cutting torch bottles in front of the tool bed on the tongue area. The torch hoses will store in a tool box built into the tongue. I plan on wiring it for electric to either be powered by the generator or plug into a house electric outlet. Im also going to plumb it for compressed air. It will be big enough for all my carpenter tools like saws, drills, nail guns, miter saws, hand tools ect. as well as my welding and cutting tools, grinders, chain hoists and come-a-longs. I have a 110 portable mig welder for minor welding jobs. I am forever loading some of my tools to go to help some one or help one of the kids with a remodel job, ect. Im tired of loading and this way I will have it all with me... right down to ladders on the side, 2 sets of safe-way scaffolds on the roof and 2 aluminum scaffold planks on the other side. I hope to get it done this summer. :-) sorry for the dark and grainy pics, it was getting dark ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I forgot to mention, that everything is built from my junk pile. I plan on a total build price of 500.00. and most of that is for the 5 new roof bows and 4 sheets of sheet metal. Everything else is scrap. The paint I use is Anchor brand implememt enamel at 32.00 per gallon. No primer needed, just spray it over anything and it will stick ... add a little for the oxy/acct and a small roll of mig wire and gas and that's about it ... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:31 am:

Years ago, I was out rabbit hunting. While waiting on the dogs to circle back around, I decided to go check out this ladder stand someone had out there for deer hunting. At eye level or a little higher, it appeared the legs were made of octagonal tubing. I had never seen octagonal tubing and was taking a closer look when I realized that on up above, it transitioned into square tubing. Then it dawned on me what had happened. The legs had gotten full of water up to about 7 feet or so and then frozen which pushed the flat sides of the square tubing outward. Closer inspection showed some splits in the tubing and serious rust inside. No way would I have climbed that stand!

Looking at those pics, it appears a lot of the rust was on the inside. Wonder if you had some standing water in there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Do you have any dogs?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/City-lamp-post-falls-and-urine-was-a-facto r-6424634.php

Many cities are experiencing similar corrosion problems due to dog urine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Hal, I do not think it ever had standing water in it, till it finally rusted thru at the bottom. Then it would have some water inside, probably no more than a inch or two at most. But it was enough to create severe rusting in the bottom three or four inches of the pipes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:31 am:

I don't know how cold it gets there but a hole drilled at the bottom will let the water condensation leave the inside of that pipe a slow the rusting. I built gates and cattle feeders in Montana and if holes weren't drilled they would rust out in no time. The water in the pipe from condensation would freeze in the winter and swell and weaken the legs. Nice a frame. I like the weather shield over the chain fall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Richard, I put a 3/4 inch hole thru the bottom channel, inside each leg, before I welded them in place. Any condensation will drain out now. The rain shield has did its job well. At least 25 years of hanging outside and the hoist still works like new... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Donnie Brown - Good thread you started here! Not only interesting handy type shop-tip sort of stuff, but good "safety" information too!

Your truck 5th wheel welding table with vise attached reminded me of something:

I bolted a similar size vise on a steel plate that's welded to a short length of square tubing that slides into the hitch receiver on my pickup truck. Kinda' nice to have a big heavy vise that's useable away from the shop or on a "T" club "trouble truck" as well as at, or in the shop. For what it's worth,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Harold, I have already used your receiver hitch idea about the vise. I believe you posted it on a thread about home made tools a year or two ago. I built one that fits into my car hauler receiver hitch. I was planning on installing a receiver on the back of the tool trailer to be able to also use the vise on the tool trailer. The only thing Ill do different is I will be using 2 receivers. One on each side (instead of one in the center). That way I can have the vice in one and something else in the other one. Or I can have two rectangle tubes to use in the receivers and use one of the scaffold planks for a work table if needed. Any more suggestions or ideas will be appreciated and remember to check your tools ... have fun and be safe .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Donnie,

Tell the truth...the trailer with electric and a roof tall enough to stand in, with back doors is really your portable "Dog House" for when you get in trouble in the house. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Donnie.
Please, re post Harold S's receiver hitch vice idea. sounds interesting.
..Reliable for now...N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Heck I thought that was a seat for a big arsse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Donnie,
How about some receivers on the back end pointing out, you can then put out stabilizing outriggers, or even small tables for important things, like eating lunch. Or even combine them; outriggers and tables. Oh, and umbrellas.
Hey, this "dog house" is begging to sound pretty plush. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Neil: I do not remember when the thread was that had the post about the receiver hitch/vice in it. Basically, just take a rectangular tube that fits into the receiver and weld a plate to it, that you bolt the vice to. Then drill a hole in the rectangle tube in the location that has the vise stick out far enough from the bumper to be in a good work position. Insert the receiver hitch pin and go to work ... Dennis, "maybe" :-) :-) David, It is amazing what my "overactive mind" and very large junk pile can come up with when I get started on something. But I do have a receiver hitch Bar-BQ grill I made when I was still working as a Boilermaker and traveling from job to job and motel to motel. It is big enough for 2 steaks and some vegetables or baked potatoes. It is a briquette grill now but I could add a propane gas burner in it, since I will have the torch setup and a butane bottle ... This thing could get out of hand and end up on that TV show "Tiny House Nation" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Donnie,
A BBQ, now that's capital!
Nah, for Tiny House, you'd have to include a bunk somewhere to sleep in.
Hmmm. not a bad idea. . . . . .
I think you need to add a propane refrigerator!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 12:00 am:

At the Greenwood car show in Seattle last Saturday a guy showed up with a model tt oil truck.

He modified the back of the tank and made it into a BBQ. He actually cooked nearly 300 hot dogs during the car show. Sorry no pictures.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration