How to fix a dent in a new rim?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to fix a dent in a new rim?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll - Carlsbad CA on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Today I received two new rear wheels back from Stutzman's Wheel Shop. Somewhere in the shipping process one wheel's rim got dented. It isn't horrible, but it is a flat spot and needs to be bent out or otherwise made more round. See photo. Any suggestions? I really don't want to go through a UPS damaged shipment hassle. Others on this forum indicate that such claims are slow and a pile of aggravation. So, aside from hassling with UPS -----
What is the best way to fix a dented rim?

Makes me kind of grumpy. Otherwise the wheels are beautiful. Thanks, Craig in Carlsbad CA
Dented Rim

New Wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

I have to ask, shipped in cardboard box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Use a rim dent/straightening tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll - Carlsbad CA on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Yes - individually shipped in separate cardboard boxes with closed cell foam. I think they had to drop it pretty hard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrie Nolting on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Real simple fix. I've done many. Take a 10" adjustable wrench, adjust it down to just slip over the edge of the rim. You can bent the lip right back into position. Might have to bent it a little in about two or three places, but it will straighten right out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Ten inch Crescent wrench is what I have used for dozens of similar rim dings. I would straighten and forget it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

UGH. That just makes me sick. They're so beautiful. Other than that horrible dent. I agree it'll fix right up, but, yes - very grumpy indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:34 am:

Just an observation from down under. Is Crescent used as a generic term for an adjustable wrench, regardless of Crescent being a trade name. Down here we call it a shifter. I collect 4" versions and have almost 70 in my collection, of many different brands and countries of origin. I have duplicates to swap if anyone is as silly as I am.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:06 am:

Allen,
Yes, here in the States, an adjustable wrench is commonly called a "Crescent Wrench" much as most copy machines are called Xerox, although that's a brand name. Older folks and most everyone calls an adhesive bandage a "Band-Aid" no matter what the brand.
There's a tool museum here in Oroville; Bolt's Antique Tool Museum. Bud Bolt started it. (I was once the curator), they might be interested in some of your spares. Check out their website: boltsantiquetools.com
Seth, once you straighten it out (and that will be fairly easy) and mount a tire, you'll have put enough other "marks" on the rim, you won't notice this one! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:51 am:

Stupid UPS. I used to "swear by them", now usually swear AT them. Sorry to hear of your damage. You're right, going through their damage claim dept. is absolutely useless. Been there. I'm lucky, I can drive to Stutzmans in exactly 2 hours to drop off/pick up my wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:23 am:

The only way to ship things like wheels or radiators is in a solid crate. Some doofus can still wreck your stuff, but he'll have to work at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Poor shipping packaging didn't help.
Any thing that's heavy needs to be shipped in some type of wooden crate. UPS problem? Maybe. But you need to compensate their lack of care by packaging items that are heavy really good or use another carrier if possible.

I bought my respoked wheels from Andersons wood wheels in Oklahoma. Their crating was built like a tank. Excellent work and WELL packaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:34 am:

It has been my experience with UPS in recent years that if the package will not survive being dropped from a third-floor window onto a concrete driveway without damage, it isn't packaged well enough for UPS shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:47 am:

I would use another carrier if at all possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Craig,

If it were mine, I would get a ball bearing large enough to fit nicely into the undamaged area of the rim. Move the bearing into the collapsed area and force it in place with a c-clamp, or maybe hammer it into place. (Yes, the ball will want to scoot around.) With it clamped in place, you may need to do some hammering on the outside of the rim to bring down the dent. I guess if you wanted to sacrifice a c-clamp, you could weld the ball to the clamp. Hammer, tighten, hammer, tighten until fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Stolpestad on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:18 am:

take it into a paintless dent removal guy. Dent Wizard could push that dent out and not leave a mark on the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Bending it back with an adjustable crescent wrench is your easiest fix. Compared to my tale , yours is nothing. Years ago I had some wheels done by a guy, and I had supplied him with four good rims. When I finally got the wheels back I had to let them sit a while before I could get around to painting and varnishing them. When I did, I realized that one of my rims had been switched with one that had been driven on for a while without a tire. The bead curve was all slightly flattened. The wheel guy was in ill health by this time so I didn't bother him, but was very distressed about it. I got to work with a crescent wrench and went around the whole rim bending it out slightly. Not fun but it came out fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

If you do like Steve J., and I have, you need to get some cardboard and a good staple gun and cover the wood with cardboard so it looks like a cardboard box. UPS has a surcharge for wooden crates!
I know; it makes no sense! Maybe they're afraid of getting a sliver???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Allan B, As others have said, Crescent is a brand name and an improper generic term for an "adjustable spanner". I do have some other makes of such wrenches, however, my ten inch and my twelve inch are genuine Crescent and nearly thirty years old from when they were still the best! (And maybe they still are!?)
I also have two very old double ended Crescents with two different adjustable spanners on each. One of them belonged to my grandfather, but was slightly broken a very long time ago.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration