Keeping It Real :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Keeping It Real :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Had to take a road trip to help Aunt Pat clean out the sheds and garage. Between Uncle Chet's
hoarded masses and a few antique store stops, I was able to pick up some proper tools for keeping
it Model T real.

Forged grub hooks have proven harder and harder to find. Uncle Chet had a couple in the shed
with his signature ugly paint on the handles.

Found the coolest tamper I have ever seen. Forged base with rivets. Highly appropriate for any
fence or pole work involving a TT.

The screw type post hole digger is something I have been after for a while. This one is a Seymore
and still in original paint.

The old school weed eater is also a Seymore and in such nice shape the original Seymore blue
lettering is still on the handle.

A proper oil can for road trips can ensure no unsightly modern plastic 5-quart bottle has to be
carried.

The forged garden fork is newer, but will be cut down to a two tine job for bottle digging.*

A Henry Disston & Co. saw clamp will make keeping those saws sharp and teeth set. A period
correct Disston saw was found to go with it.

The bench vise is another item I have been after for a while for the shop.

The 1924 Pocket Guide to Spokane will help me find my way whenever I go back to visit in 1924.

A pair of hand drills will help get the job done when the power is out and all the batteries dead.

And who wants to hang a nice Victorian door on some boring old hinges ? No, we must have
the right scrolly, cast hinges ! These look like they have escaped service now for 125 years.

A nice cast iron and wood door pull will provide the correct ambiance for something around here.

Not sure what I'll do with the old rigging piece, but I am sure something will come to mind.

And to the right, Dr. Rinehart's Handy Hog Holder, for those who feel the need to hold their hogs.

*And lastly, a bottle of Dr. Kennedy's elixir of Prairie Weed. After a day working that old time weed
eater, I think I may need TWO bottles of this stuff !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:45 am:

That forged fork is a rare treasure. It won't have its teeth bent in every direction after a few minutes' use.

The scythe is the original exercise machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Burger,

" Observational Humor "

You are naturally skilled ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Burger, just finished drilling 4 holes and planting some 6x6 treated poles this afternoon to rebuild a fence taken down last year by a spruce and 120 mph line winds. Borrowed the digger from a friend. The handle is in worse shape than yours and I had to rebuild the web that goes between the blades at the tip. Otherwise it's the identical tool. Also sharpened it for my friend. Worked like a charm! I was always taught to return something borrowed in better condition than when you borrowed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:23 am:

I think what you are calling a rigging piece is a butchers gambrel. You would use it to hold the hog after you no longer need the hog holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Yes the rigging piece is a whippletree for a team that has had the rings opened up into hooks. The hooks go into the back leg tendons to raise the animal for butchering. I have one also and have processed many deer with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

that post hole digger wouldn't work around here--too many rocks in our soil. Here you need a good bar and the two-handled digger--and a young kid to do the job!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

David - When we lived in Montana, I knew a rancher who used to say that his "topsoil" was on average, "about this big around",....and with both hands, he'd gesture something about the size of a baseball. Ha,ha,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

Hah! That sounds about right! My yard is pretty much dredger tailings, so you can imagine that "loose soil" around here is a myth! The quartz bits shining after a rain is kinda purty though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

That castration tool looks interesting...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

The hog holder gets put over the snout of the pig and when torqued, gets the hog's attention real
quick. I am told these were outlawed 100 years ago because they often broke the hog's snout.

Correct, the twist-type post hole digger is pretty ineffective in rocky soil. It can prove useful in
hoisting the loosened soil out of the hole once broken up with a bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

All cool old stuff. I love old carp. Hence the model T s and A s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

My dad used to love to tell about the time when he was in high school, and helped family set a bunch of fence posts. 329 post holes, and they only hit one rock. Unfortunately, they hit that same stupid rock in every one of the 329 post holes.
Elko county, Nevada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

I love driving thru Nevada .... :-)

Just not so much in the summertime ....

Freighter Jim

Home Cooked Meals
Goldfield, NV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Don't know about a "hog holder" but do know about a twitch for a horse...a loop of chain or rope on a stick that you put your hand through and grab them by the nostrils and pull the upper lip out, loop it and twist it tight. You can take the most unruly horse and hold them right there with bug eyes and mad as hell if you can put it on and not get hoofed to death while putting it on. I would not try that on a hog as they might bite you, knock you down and eat you.

I have twitched many horses while gelding but no hogs. No way I am grabbing a hog by the mouth, they are fast, low to the ground and heavy. Hundreds of pounds of "bowling balls" made of meat going to your feet to knock you flat down and bite you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration